Monday, December 10, 2007

I want a Hippopatamus for Christmas ...

... because it couldn’t do much more damage to the tree than the cats have. It finally happened. One of the cats (read that to be Aidan or BooBear because the others were in the bedroom with me) knocked over the Christmas tree. Yes, you read that right. My seven foot tree hit the floor. Nothing damaged, thank goodness, just a little skewed. I only had to re-string the red and green beads. I’m not sure how they did it. I have boxes under the tree for decoration so they couldn’t have crawled under it. I’m assuming they crawled onto the boxes on the side of the tree and tried to crawl in it. I knew it was bound to happen.

Winter has finally arrived in North Texas. I wasn’t sure it ever would get here. Friday’s temp was 84 (we broke a record), but today it didn’t even make it to 50. It’ll be in the 40s for the next couple of days. Drizzly. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some ice.

The Cowboys nearly gave me a heart attack on Sunday. They were behind for most of the game, got within a yard of a game winning touchdown (might I say there wasn’t a lot of time left on the clock) and they lost the ball. LOST IT!!! At the goal line. The Lions got the ball and went down the field, eating up time on the clock. Finally, the ‘boys got it back, Romo threw a long pass and TOUCHDOWN. They won the game 28 – 27. 1 point. But they clinched the division – playoffs here we come.

We all know we procrastinate. Some more so than others. But what if you could procrastinate AND do good for the world? At freerice.com they have a vocabulary game where for every word you get right, they donate 20 grains of rice to the United Nations. I’ve already donated several thousands. Christa told me about the site and it’s fun/addictive.

Hope y’all have a great Monday.

30 comments:

Christa said...

That's cause you whined until I told you :-) ah so that's what the cats have been doing the last few night stadegizing and you thought they were looking at the pretty lights:-)

Bailey Stewart said...

Yeah, I think they planned it. Neely Shae and Bubba were sent into the bedroom to keep me occupied.

Bailey Stewart said...

And I don't whine, I plead.

Brandy said...

ooh, I have so much fun to look forward to. We bought our tree tonight and will have it up soon. I can just imagine the terror they will instill. And I'm sorry, but it's a bit funny too! Glad nothing was broken!
Have a good Monday!

Bailey Stewart said...

Just you wait Ghunga Din. Just you wait ... then you won't think it's so funny. LOL

Brandy said...

Update, the tree is in the stand in the LR and the cats are trying to decide which branch tastes better. *g*

Dru said...

LOL at the culprits. I bet they sat there looking innocent.

Thanks for that site, I will check it out later in the day.

Have a good Monday.

Michele said...

I saw mention of that Rice site on TV news. The great thing is , it works!
Thanks for spreading the news!

LOL on the "Kitty and Tree" show!
Glad nothing got broken.

Tori Lennox said...

Yikes! re the Christmas vs the cats!

The freerice.com site is fantastic and fun!

Christa said...

Sorry Bailey. Pleading, whining and begging all kinda sound the same in computer speak

Melissa McClone said...

Free rice is a fun site!

Hugs on the tree. So glad nothing got broken. That's one of my fears. I have lots of glass ornaments and some cannot be replaced!

Bailey Stewart said...

Brandy - watch them, it'll be divide and conquer.

Bailey Stewart said...

Dru - actually, the loud crash made them scatter everywhere. Even the ones that were in the bedroom with me.

That site is addictive.

Bailey Stewart said...

C.C. - I hadn't heard anything about it until Christa mentioned it.

Yeah, I wished I had a camera set up. That's it, everyone with a pet should have a survellance (sp?) camera set up watching the tree.

Bailey Stewart said...

Tori - Yikes was not one of the words I used. LOL

Bailey Stewart said...

Christa, if I remember right, whined, er, pleaded for you NOT to tell me.

Bailey Stewart said...

Melissa - same thing here. I've got a lot of "It's a Wonderful Life" ornaments that can't be bought anymore, plus Irish ones, etc. I'm so glad nothing broke.

Anonymous said...

We are having an ice storm today. :( My fur balls haven't knocked over the tree - yet- just managed to unplug half of the lights. Good luck keeping your tree up.

The Cowboys had me very worried!

Oh great, you got me hooked on Christmas Hangman and now this. Ugh!

Bailey Stewart said...

I thought we were going to have an ice storm, the temps were right. It's 40 degrees right now.

But freerice is for a good cause Susan!

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh, and the 'boys had me worried too!

Melissa Amateis said...

I have given up on having a perfect Christmas tree this year. When I have my friends over for tea, I'll fix it and put the cats in a room and shut the door!

Bailey Stewart said...

Sounds like a plan to me. *gg*

Anonymous said...

A couple years ago our tree went over and I did lose some ornaments that can never be replaced. It was a big tree and the stand probably could have been larger but it too was after I had put the packages under the tree and I think one or more of my cats was running around on top of the boxes and caused it. I really can't complain though because they've all been so good - even my new kitten has not touched anything on the tree. They tend to leave the live ones alone because I always get the ones with the most prickly needles lol.

I think I've donated about 8,000 grains of rice lol.

Bailey Stewart said...

Way to go on the rice Jeanne!

I can't have a live tree because I'm allergic to pine/cedar.

Toni Anderson said...

I avoid all addictive games!!!

LOL at the tree. Ours just went up--I'm hoping the dogs don't eat it. It kids have one in their room that looks like a 70's glam rock thing. LOL. Nothing bit bloody tinsel. They like it. :)

Bailey Stewart said...

But FBA, its for charity!!!!

Can't have tinsel with cats.

I hope your dogs don't eat the tree!

Christa said...

Bailey from what I remember of the conversation Friday you threatened me with the cats if I told you about freerice.com and Sat you wanted the name because you were boooooored

Bailey Stewart said...

Pleaded, threatened, same thing. *gg*

Off to work now. Have a great day!

Saskia Walker said...

But the kitties thought you enjoyed decorating the tree and would like to do it all over again.... :-}

Bailey Stewart said...

Well they can think again. *gg*