Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Eureka!

While laying here in bed I made an amazing discovery. When I watch TV I have to lie on my side facing both the TV and the door to the bathroom. One morning I was lying here and noticed Bubba playing on the rug below the bed. He was tossing something into the air and then smacking it down – sort of what I wanted to do to my last boyfriend. I watched for a few moments as he batted one of my black socks around. I have this habit of taking my shoes off there and tossing the socks on the rug, even though the hamper is a little over an arms length away. I never said I wasn’t lazy. I return to watching the TV while keeping a peripheral eye on Bubba. He tossed the sock towards the bathroom, stalked it, and then “killed” the monster (if you have cats, you’ll know what I mean). Now I must explain something about the bathroom. When we moved in here there was a little vanity area next to the sink – an open place where you could put one of those fancy bathroom chairs. The small room was lacking in storage space, so my father the carpenter enclosed that area with drawers. They don’t go all the way down to the floor though – there’s a small gap along the bottom. Got it? When I next looked at Bubba he was rolling around on the bathroom rug pulling one end up over him and then jumping out onto the sock – a real giggling moment. Then I saw him do something I’d never seen any of the cats do – he started stuffing the sock into that little slot and then reaching a paw under there to bat it around. I called him away and then went to get a broomstick to retrieve my sock. When I swept the handle underneath the cabinet not only did I retrieve one sock but three more. It’s not the washer/dryer that’s eating our socks, it’s our pets!

I almost forgot - Happy Birthday Ruby! I wish you a year of improved health, happiness and all of the books you want to read. You've been a great friend - remember you're never alone, we're all here.

17 comments:

Brandy said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!
I came downstairs yesterday to find one of my laps on a chair that it sits next to. The cats had been playing, got a little wild and knocked it over. So, yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about!
I hope you're feeling better today!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Heh, our first cat (as a couple) stole my ink pens and batted them beneath the washing machine. I didn't find them until we moved. :-) We can't have cats now, though--the middle monster is allergic. Hope you're feeling better!

Michele said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!! Two!!

LOL!! Bailey , you were right. this is FUNNY!!
I don't have cats though, only fish.
Hate to think what fish would do to socks! LOL

Have a great night!

Spy Scribbler said...

Happy Birthday, Ruby!

LOL, Bailey. I just love watching the cats play. We have one that throws her toys in the air. I'll be sitting and watching tv or typing on the laptop, and this little yellow cat toy will be bouncing all over the room! (And often onto my laptop!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Ruby!!

We're babysitting a cat all week, and believe me, it's babysitting. Like having a toddler all over again, lol. I'm missing socks left and right ...

Lis said...

Happy birthday Ruby!
Oh that's too cute :o)

raine said...

When I swept the handle underneath the cabinet not only did I retrieve one sock but three more.

Well, isn't that what they're for?

Anonymous said...

That's funny! I've noticed lately my cat Cairo has a fascination with the small space below a cabinet. I think I'd better have a look and see what's under there!
I'm not sure who Ruby is, but happy birthday!

Meretta said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!

I'm snickering at Bubba. He's a clever guy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!

It is amazing what amuses cats. They seem to find more enjoyment from playing and hiding our things then their own toys!

Hope you are feeling better. *crossed fingers*

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm glad you solved the Mystery of the Missing Socks. *g*

Melissa Amateis said...

LOL! I watched my cat last night dart after one of my daughter's toys and unfortunately, she leapt off my desk to do it, knocking my keyboard to the floor.

Toni Anderson said...

Happy Birthday Ruby!!!

LOL at the antics of cats :)

Stacy Dawn said...

Too funny!!

catslady said...

Our dog used to take socks but I haven't caught any of my cats doing that yet lol. But just yesterday I was cleaning the gameroom floor and looked under a built in piece of furniture and there must have been 10 cat toys under there (and lots of hair)- I never realized it went back as far as it did.

Happy Birthday, Ruby!

Dru said...

LMAOROTL, that is too funny.

Happy Birthday Ruby!

How are you feeling?

Anonymous said...

What? I have a cat in here somewhere???!!!