Thursday, March 16, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day

For John O'Connell, Mary Clancy, John Hanlon and Catharine Brady - who probably never heard this song - The National Anthem of the Republic of Ireland. Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone.

Amhran na bhfiann
(A Soldier's Song)
Seo dhibh a cháirde duan Óglaigh,
Cathréimeach briomhar ceolmhar,
Ár dtinte cnámh go buacach táid,
'S an spéir go min réaltogach
Is fonnmhar faobhrach sinn chun gleo
'S go tiúnmhar glé roimh thíocht do'n ló
Fé chiúnas chaomh na hoiche ar seol:
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.
Curfá:
Sinne Fianna Fáil
A tá fé gheall ag Éirinn,
buion dár slua
Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
Fé mhóid bheith saor.
Sean tír ár sinsir feasta
Ní fhagfar fé'n tiorán ná fé'n tráil
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil
Le guna screach fé lámhach na bpiléar
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.
Cois bánta réidhe, ar árdaibh sléibhe,
Ba bhuachach ár sinsir romhainn,
Ag lámhach go tréan fé'n sár-bhrat séin
Tá thuas sa ghaoith go seolta
Ba dhúchas riamh d'ár gcine cháidh
Gan iompáil siar ó imirt áir,
'S ag siúl mar iad i gcoinne námhad
Seo libh, canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.
Curfá
A bhuíon nách fann d'fhuil Ghaeil is Gall,
Sin breacadh lae na saoirse,
Ta scéimhle 's scanradh i gcroíthe namhad,
Roimh ranna laochra ár dtire.
Ár dtinte is tréith gan spréach anois,
Sin luisne ghlé san spéir anoir,
'S an bíobha i raon na bpiléar agaibh:
Seo libh, canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.
Curfá


English lyrics
We'll sing a song, a soldier's song,
With cheering rousing chorus,
As round our blazing fires we throng,
The starry heavens o'er us;
Impatient for the coming fight,
And as we wait the morning's light,
Here in the silence of the night,
We'll chant a soldier's song.
Chorus:
Soldiers are we
whose lives are pledged to Ireland;
Some have come
from a land beyond the wave.
Sworn to be free,
No more our ancient sire land
Shall shelter the despot or the slave.
Tonight we man the gap of danger
In Erin's cause, come woe or weal
'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,
We'll chant a soldier's song.
In valley green, on towering crag,
Our fathers fought before us,
And conquered 'neath the same old flag
That's proudly floating o'er us.
We're children of a fighting race,
That never yet has known disgrace,
And as we march, the foe to face,
We'll chant a soldier's song.
Chorus
Sons of the Gael! Men of the Pale!
The long watched day is breaking;
The serried ranks of Inisfail
Shall set the Tyrant quaking.
Our camp fires now are burning low;
See in the east a silv'ry glow,
Out yonder waits the Saxon foe,
So chant a soldier's song.
Chorus

27 comments:

Brandy said...

I once heard that most all Irish songs are about war or fighting or dying. Where did you learn this one? Don't forget t wear your green today! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Anonymous said...

The beautiful green hills and vales of Ireland. What I managed to see of it was really beautiful. I'd love to see more of it, too.

Well, I guess the Irish had to fight so long against the English that it became their whole life: fighting and dying. Because dying is a part of life.

And the Irish do have a prime piece of real estate. I first saw it from Galway Bay in 1964 on a ship from Rotterdam to New York. It was wonderful. Saw more of the Dublin area in Dec. 1979. We flew via a stopover in Shannon to Boston.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh:

Happy St. Patrick's Day especially to Eve and the rest of the Irish!

Scott said...

I forgot to wear green today! Speaking of green, a certain player who wore green last year is rumored to have signed with Dallas. I can't help but be a little excited. Let's hope we can control him.

Denise McDonald said...

SCOTT.... NOOOOOOOO..... man I was afraid of that!

Happy St. Patricks Day (gotta get my green on before the boys notice)

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

I don't have anything green to wear, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. But if anybody tries to pinch me, they may get a poke in the eye. (Where did that nasty tradition come from anyway???)

Bailey Stewart said...

Tori - I don't know - I think it's a lousy one too. And right now I'm still in my gray lounger pants and white tee. No green yet for me - but I got mom all dressed in the Irish tee I bought her at the festival. And my Irish flag (as small and pathetic as it is - a parade souvenir (sp?)) is out flying from the flag thingy. (don't you love my technical terms) I would really love a decent one - someday. Anyway, I thought I would also toss out the fact that it was close to 3:00 this morning before I got to bed - yep - 3 hours sleep. I think I'm doing pretty good - I haven't killed anybody ... yet.

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patty's Day.

Reading through the lyrics of the Irish anthem makes me think of the battle scenes from Braveheart. I knew then when watch the movie that my ancestry was with those fighting for freedom. I was sooo into it, I wanted to jump into the fight welding a broadsword.

Anonymous said...

Happy Saint Patrick's day! I wore my green and will down a pint of Guinness tonight. It' full of vitamin B (that's my excuse). Sláinte!

Anonymous said...

We love our Irish Day don't we Eve!!!

Although I really wish I could speak Gaelic...my name is Gaelic by the way, if you could not tell :)

I am wearing the protestant Orange for the day :) oh I do have my green earrings on though too!!! Do you suppose I will get lots of Kisses??? probably not...most don't know what each color represents anyway...

Diane said...

Happy St Pat's Day to you too.

Bailey Stewart said...

The problem for me is that a lot of people around here seem to think it's the Mexican Flag - I keep saying "No, that's orange, not red" and then I do explain the meanings behind the colors.

I've been trying to teach the cats to do Irish jigs, but they're not cooperating.

Oh, and I had my usual 3 hours sleep on Thursday night only to find out no nap today since Bebo is expecting a package and I have to wait for it. I can just see it, crawl into bed and the doorbell rings; or wait up through the hours that I could be sleeping only to have him show up at the time I would have gotten up anyway. :(

Christa said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Do green underwear count?

Bailey Stewart said...

Depends who can see it ;)

Well, nap time won't happen anyway - the Howling Banshees started up in the backyard at approximately 11:30 and they're still at it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Eve! Couldn't resist this ... Click on my name!

Anonymous said...

Awww! I wanted to send you an ecard but it doesn't work on blogger!

Toni Anderson said...

I have green socks on :)

Happy St Patrick's Day to you. Sorry I'm late--I was buried under 4 children. Not sure where the other two came from???

Toni Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bailey Stewart said...

Well, I can guarantee they didn't come from the kids next door - because no one is missing from there.

Anonymous said...

Time to use the Off for Kids!LOL

My sister has been to Ireland twice and brought back some wonderful pictures and great stories.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Bailey Stewart said...

Susan - they have a motorbike! Who gave these children a motorbike? Okay, it's not these kids, but some older ones visiting, but they're buzzing up and down the street. Do they make an Off for motorbikes?
I'm envious of your sister. I'll get there some day.

Lis said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day Eve!!
Wearing my green peanuts t-shirt and wondering if McD's still makes those green mint milkshakes anymore. *g*

Anonymous said...

Hey! S'me again. Ecard over on Bravenet . . .

Anonymous said...

I first thought that the coat I wore out in the cold, windy, below-freesing weather was the only green item I was wearing. But when someone mentioned underwear, I realized I'm wearing green socks. Not the bright Irish green but darker. But still green. And in Erin you certainly get all shades.

Oh, Eve, I'm so praying you'll get a good night's sleep soon. I know how wearing it is. My sleep has not been all that refreshing when I did get some. I know that caring for your mom takes a lot out of you.

Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hey happy Irish day!!

Bailey Stewart said...

Ruby - we're supposed to have thunderstorms this weekend - I'd like to see those kids outside disturbing my sleep then! Ha!

Jill - Happy Irish Day to you too.

Anonymous said...

I had never seen the words to the Irish Natl Anthem. They are beautiful & stirring as a natl anthem should be.

And I dedicate it to my father and all the other Irish in my heritage that I can't remember the names of right now. Slainte!