Friday, March 10, 2006
I have mentioned Devlin many times. He is the kitten that I have had since the day he was born. I fed him every 4 hours, stimulated his senses, cuddled him and, yes, even burped him. When I would take him in to the vet and set him on the exam table, he would creep across the table towards me on scent only (not only are kittens blind the first month, they are also deaf), mine was the first face he saw, the first voice he heard. He is my baby, no matter what cat comes after him - this is the one that I have bonded with like no other animal I have owned. He was born with a parasite that robbed him of three weeks of nutrition - he was only getting enough to stay alive, but not to grow. He did not gain an ounce in those three weeks - he wasn't thriving. I medicated and medicated and prayed and prayed. he made it through that illness and I thought we were home free. I had noticed little episodes (hard to explain) on and off - not frequently, once every month or so, nothing to be concerned about. This morning was different. It lasted longer. It starts with a weird rippling of the muscles down his back, then he starts biting and licking his tail and back area, followed by frantic running around the house and ending with panting. I took him to the vet. First, he had a fever - which the doctor said could have been caused by the seizure - yes, seizure. Not epileptic but a sort (the name I don't remember) that sometimes appears in cats. She showed me a description in a vet's manual and he had all of the classic symptoms. She took blood. I took him back home while we waited for the results - meanwhile the seizures continued - 6 in almost 6 hours. The doctor called close to 7:00 (she's great). Devlin's white blood count was way up. She suspects a feline form of meningitis (not contagious) but we can't know for sure unless I were to take Devy to a specialist and have a spinal tap done. Can't afford it. She has started him on an animal form of Cipro (yes, she waited for me to come on up there and get the medication) called Baytril. The seizures are escalating - 11 now in 8 hours. The Baytril might alleviate the seizures, if not we will have to start him on phenobarbitol. This, hopefully, will only be on a temporary basis until the seizures are controlled. If none of this helps we will probably have to have him put down. I am so scared. And my heart is slowly breaking - this is my baby. Please think about us in the next few days - we're going to need all of the prayers and good wishes we can get. And I could use a few cyber hugs too.
Updates in comment section - Thanks for all of the prayers and support.