Saturday, June 10, 2006

Another Saturday

Found this article on one of my email subscriptions and thought it was interesting. I'm off to work today - at least my co-worker is back from his THREE WEEK vacation. He'd better have enjoyed himself, that's all I can say. Have a great Saturday everyone, "talk" to ya later. And don't forget the contest on yesterday's blog. You can answer on that blog - and come back Monday to find out who our lucky winners are.

A Feline Example on Courage
By Sheryl Joy Olano

Fangs. Killer claws. Hisses, grrrs...and later, yelps. Who is not familiar with cat-dog combats? It's a "hair-raising" party of limbs and tails and yes, the loser sheds most of the fur- mostly, the cat. It was night time and I was in the living room reading a tear-jerker when I heard a throaty, prolonged and wavering wail. Instantly I dropped the book and rushed to the door with one thought in mind - my cat was under attack. The thought brought an ugly picture to my head. I feared an on-the-prowl Sparky or a hyperactive Caesar or worse, the Big Dogs on the Block (BDOB a.k.a. askal) was circling my Khufu in anticipation of tearing her apart. So you could just imagine the shock on my face when I caught Khufu chasing Sparky, a dog two times her size. A dog. My cat just chased a dog. I thought it only happens on TV. "You were supposed to be helpless," I scolded Khufu but actually I was torn between being proud of the cat and being afraid of it as it sat on its hind, licking its paws...Sparky completely forgotten. But then my memory bank had retrieved from its archives a plausible explanation about what had transpired in the scene of crime. Said dog seemed to have a phobia with cats for once upon a time it received a blow from a cat's paw on the head. So I thought my cat was just plain lucky. Sparky would avert from anything that meows. But then another weird night came and dogs were running for their tails. The militant cat had struck again. Dogs. Not one, but two. Dogs- definitely not puppies. One was Caesar and the other was a BDOB- both bigger than Sparky. I was impressed. Perhaps it would happen again, perhaps not. But I wouldn't want my feline friend to make it a hobby or she'll drive all the dogs away. Here's the norm: cats are to be chased by dogs. The poor cat must have gotten tired of running for her life that she decided to make a brave yet an unthinkable move to alter cat life in our dog-infested neighborhood. It seems she has gathered up her tattered pride and charge, come what may, to make a statement in the name of the feline race. The statement would be: We cats may be soft, but we are not fragile. How easy it is for us to run away from our fears or to give in to the unfairness of the bullies to avert the hassles and side effects of battle, having known not the possible victories we could achieve...dreams stay as mere dreams. But fear is fear. If only we could just throw it out of the window and have it locked out from our minds. But fear is a part of our existence. It is a psychological battle, a tug-of-war between yes and no. For me, it is not something we bulldoze in a day. I remember how my cat used to sacrifice her food to the dogs and be rooted indoors. It took her time to gain the courage to go against the norm we thought could never be changed. Perhaps the passport to courage is to be sure of who we are, to believe, to act big no matter how small, like the cat that fought for its claim of territory and demand for respect with a personlity bigger than a dog. We all have our own dogs to chase to turn our "impossible" into a badge we can proudly wear. As for me, I'm not done with mine yet.

19 comments:

Brandy said...

I like this story (parable).
Your co-worker took a 3 week vacation? Wow, must be nice. Don't overwork yourself.

Michele said...

Good story. A little heavy. I mean cats don't consciously decide to change their life - like going to AA or anything. But it was a nice analogy.

Its a David and Goliath thing. Always popular.

So, when do you get YOUR three weeks vaca???
Have a prolif and productive work day ,Eve!

Unknown said...

You can't take a 3-week vacation, Eve. We'd miss you far too much. Three weeks? Tsk.
Rabble, the cat we lost last year, used to attack Holly, the sweetest ever dog ... she'd lash out and Holly would have blood dripping from her nose. Mind you, Holly was pathetic. :o)

Bailey Stewart said...

My co-worker spent the first 3 or 4 years working there never taking a vacation, so he built up all of these vacation hours. I, on the other hand, used every vacation hour I had every year. With my hours so short now, it's taking me forever to build up even 8 hours for one week vacation - almost there.

City Chickie - you're a hoot. And see answer to your question above.

I had a Sparky - his name was Shelby and he would protect the yard from anything. Chased off quite a few dogs much bigger than him. And then I've had stupid cats (Cassidy); but mostly, I've had those that fall in-between the two extremes.

Bailey Stewart said...

I need to get coffee. That last part was for Loreth. And then I hit publish before I was finished.

Shirley - If I could, it would be a three week vacation from work - not home. And if I were dreaming, it would be a three week vacation visiting all of my friends.

But no more wondering who if I'm working with the boss on Saturday morning.

Michele said...

Ah! Coffee. I'm only on my first, gotta go for round two soon, but wanted to check in here first. I'm SO dedicated....ja?


Of course, you realize that there is another possibility as to the reason of cat supremacy?

Ever see the movie Cats & Dogs?

Bwahahahaaaa!!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved the story! I sort of have Sparky - his name is Shadow and loves to attack the family dog but he's terrified of Callie, my other cat who is at least 15 lbs lighter than him. Go figure! LOL

Let your co-worker do all the work today, after all he should be well rested!

Meretta said...

Saw a news headline today of a cat in NJ who chased a bear away. Fearless.

Have fun at work today!

Carol M said...

That's a very good story! I enjoyed it!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Bailey Stewart said...

Hey - came home with a bad heat headache, so will be short this afternoon (well, I'm short anyway). No option with the co-worker doing all of the work, there's only two of us and we are very busy in the mornings in the summertime. People getting out before it gets too hot. It's 100 degrees out there right now (that's without heat index).

Michele - no I haven't seen that movie, but I hear the cats are evil so I won't see it.

Susan - see above explanation for work. Shadow sounds cute.

Meretta - does Loreth know about this?

You have a good weekend too Carol.

Michele said...

Oh, take it with a grain of salt, Eve. I LOL'd at the siamese cats that know karate and Navy SEALs moves. *giggle*

Like cats don't have independent personalities? There are good kitties and bad kitties - personally I believe that the bad kitty was a result of a male kitty being dressed in frilly frou-frou demasculinizing outfits and having baby talk spoken to him all the time. The power of self assertion just went to his head.

You know, "When good kitties turn bad"
like llamas

catslady said...

Anything about cats gets my interest lol.

May I ask where you work?

Hope your headache is gone.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a wonderful, inspirational story. I guess we all have our BDOBs.

So maybe it was an instinct that made the cat chase the dogs. Maybe we should go with our better instincts as well sometimes. And with our powers of reasoning we should be able to do even better than a cat.

Hope you had a good day at work, Eve. Three-week vacations are not very common here. In Germany, they had statistics that showed anything less than 3 weeks really didn't do much to relax you. Here we're lucky to grab a few days here and there if we work anything less than full time.

I thought your dream vacation was going to Ireland. How nice to go to see all your friends instead.

I guess your morning wasn't all that great with a heat headache, know what that's all about. The weather here is definitely deceptive. Bright sunshine, not a cloud in the sky. If you're standing directly in the sunlight away from the wind you get nice and warm. Take one step and get hit by the wind, you're shivering. The temperature is about 64 but the 20 mph winds make it feel quite a bit colder.

Hope your headache goes away quickly.

Toni Anderson said...

I'm taking 4 weeks in August. Of course some people think raising kids is one long vacation...

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

The kids are coming with me on my holidays. Maybe vacation is the wrong word?

Hmmm... you hate dogs don't you???

Bailey Stewart said...

Michele - it's not that. It's that (from what I understand) all the cats are evil. Besides, I don't think I'm really missing stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Jeanne - I work in a used bookstore. You'd think that would help my budget, but I buy all of my reading material new. Sheesh. The headache is a little better, just sitting right on the edge of pain.

Ah, but Ruby - some of my friends are in England. Close enough.

Toni - that would be considered a break from routine for you, a vacation for the kids. And no, surprisingly enough, I don't hate dogs. I don't trust a lot of them, but there have been a few dogs in my life that I've loved. We had a dachsund for 13 years that I was heartbroken when she died. It's just that sometimes I get tired of defending cats - people who dislike cats pretty much rabidly hate them (my brother, for instance). So when I see a movie where ALL of the cats are evil - come on people, can't we all just get along?

Lis said...

Hope your feeling better now

Anonymous said...

Eve, 3 weeks vacation sounds so great, sigh. And thanks for sharing the story about courage. This made me think about my own courage and gathering enough will power to stand up for what I believe in.

Bailey Stewart said...

Lis - the headache decided to get off the fence and come back as a full-fledged banger, so I'm off to bed.

Olga - I'm glad it helped.

Toni Anderson said...

I was kidding :) I like cats :) I like dogs. You're right people need to get along.

Hey I have a smokey grey kitty in mind should we ever get down to one dog (not that I want to get down to one dog and I have to say my dogs seem fitter than most people!!). Have a nice night.