Saturday, June 17, 2006

Church Bulletins

Thanks Lis! Now, straight from email heaven:

From real church bulletins and written announcements:
• Bertha Belch, a missionary, will be speaking tonight at Calvary Memorial Church in Racine. Come tonight to hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa.
• Miss Charlene Mason sang "I Will Not Pass This Way Again", giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.
• Ladies, remember the rummage sale. It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don't forget your husbands.
• Barbara remains in the hospital needing blood donors for more transfusions. She is also having trouble sleeping and requests tapes of Pastor Smith's sermons.
• A new loudspeaker system has been installed in the church. It was given by a new member in honor of his wife.
• Bring your wife and one other covered dish to the banquet.
• The Ladies Bible Study will be held Thursday morning at 10. Ladies are invited to lunch in the Fellowship Hall after the BS is over.
• The third verse of "Blessed Assurance" will be sung without musical accomplishment.
• Pastor will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing, "Break Forth Into Joy".
• Next Sunday Mrs. Vinson will be soloist for the morning service. The pastor will speak on "It's a Terrible Experience."
• Due to the Patstor's illness, Wednesday's healing services will bediscontinued until further notice.
• The eighth-graders will present Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in the church basement on Friday at 7 p.m. The congregation is invited to attend the tragedy.
• The annual song-fest will be hell at the church Wednesday night.
• Youth have saved aluminum cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will help to cripple children.
• Don't let worry kill you - let the church help.
• Thursday night - Potluck Supper. Prayer and medication to follow.
• Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community.
• For those of you with children that don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.
• This being Easter Sunday, Mrs. Lewis will come forward and lay an egg on the lectern.
• Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the new carpet will come forward and get a form.
• Members of the church have cast off clothing of every kind. They can be seen in the church basement Saturday.
• At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be "What is hell?" Come early and listen to our choir practice.

24 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

In case you missed it yesterday - Joely got the alarm clock spam. See, it does exist.

Brandy said...

OMG Eve!! I love these!!
They are almost as good as Spamarama Friday!!
I had no doubt the alsrm clock was missing!! ;o)

Bailey Stewart said...

BTW - I have another blog. Well, it's not actually a blog, but more a review of books. Anyway, you can either get to it from my links or my profile. It's called Isn't it Romantic

Bailey Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Siobhan said...

I love the last one - choir practice LOL! Hope you are having a good weekend, Eve. ((()))

Denise McDonald said...

• For those of you with children that don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs.

I have never forgotten or not known... LOL

Bailey Stewart said...

Siobhan - so far, not good. Ended up with about 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night. We have a storm system coming in and my knee just ached.

Dennie - you would if you were in a soap opera. LOL

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh,oh,oh, and before I head off to work: my wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted, loving, generous, witty, vivacious, compassionate, bestest, awesome, super (I'm running out of words people), sincere, gracious cousin Joan is sending me her old lap-top - not good enough for a main computer, but great for an E-READER! I'll be able to read those ebooks I have while in bed. Yay Cousin Joan. *kissy-kissy smack*

Carol M said...

ROFLMAO! I just love these!

I hope your knee is better today, Eve.

Christa said...

If my parents had read these they wouldn't have keen for me to go to church every Sunday.
I think I'll join you at the beech but I shaved my legs this week so I can wear shorts.

Anonymous said...

ROFL! These are great! Lots of news one I've never seen before. :)

Meretta said...

I love stuff like this! Thanks for sharing, Eve.

Jordan Summers said...

LOL! I am still cracking up.

Bailey Stewart said...

Thanks Carol - it rained so that helped with the knee.

Christa - you have to shave your legs to wear shorts? That's what I've been doing wrong. LOL

Tori - there were a lot there that I hadn't seen either.

You're welcome Meretta.

Oh Jordan, after your day yesterday you needed that laugh.

Anonymous said...

These are great. I must add that when my mother couldn't fall asleep, she'd put on our pastor's tape and in no time she'd be in la-la land. She actually told him about it and he burst into laughter. She'd be in church on Sundays to hear him speak but she'd always miss something as she went off on a tangent. By getting the tape, she figured that she'd get more out of the sermon. Well, often she got a good sleep out of it.

Hey, that's a good idea to review the books you like as long as you still have enough to blog about here.

Any progress on you know what?

Toni Anderson said...

People are so funny.

Thanks for the giggle :)

Anonymous said...

That reminds of a question on another blog where we were asked what kind of humor we found funny.

I've never been the kind who likes the slapstick, crude, or cruel kinds of "humor". Definitely, not for me.

This is what I can laugh my head off about: misplaced modifiers, incorrect words, misspellings, and banter a la Tracy/Hepburn, The Thin Man, etc.

Thanks so much for bringing those to us benighted ones. I can never find enough of them. Your Spamarama falls under the heading of banter.

Brandy said...

Another blog? Where do you find the time? Just don't forget your writing. Glad to hear your knee is better, and YAY!!! on the laptop!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Joan. Wish someone would give me something like that. I hope you can soon afford a monitor. My nephew threw out my smaller one when my bother gave me this one.

It's great. I'm just worried about overburdening my desk. It's sturdy enough, I guess but it does have some unique problems when it gets loaded down too much. About 30 years ago, when my sister was using it, my father or one of my brothers must have put in a piece of wood to strengthen it. It's made of teak and has a bookshelf running along the back of it. Very handy but adds to the load the rather spindly legs totally on the outside of the sides have to bear.

Which e-reader had you figured out to be the best? I can't afford one now either but I'm trying to get some information for the future.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Brandy, as good as Spamarama Friday! LOL

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Oh these were just sensational, Eve! They were all so funny that it would be hard to pick favorites. Things that happen in real life, like skewed newspaper headlines, weird road signs or snippets from church bulletins, etc., are often the most hilarious. Oh yeah, I guess that would have to include idiotic spam titles too! :-D

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Giggles. These are great!!!

Christa said...

My dad alway fell asleep in church. Hey I say good for him, but he snores, loudly, and then everybody else knows he's sleeping too!

Lis said...

Woohoo on getting the laptop :o)
Your knee aches before storms too? Mine drives me crazy with that