Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Player

Today I’m going to talk about The Player by Rhonda Nelson. This book is the opposite of Closer … in that it’s not suspenseful. This is also the first in a series and it looks very promising. The premise: When a mission goes bad, three Rangers - James Aidan Flanagan (aka Jamie), Guy McCann and Bryan Payne (aka Payne) want out of the military. Colonel Garrett, their commanding officer, lets them go only after getting a promise from them that they would each grant him one favor – of his choosing and his timetable. First up is Jamie “The Player”, so named because of his prowess with the ladies. Right now, Jamie is going through the women like there’s no tomorrow – his way of dealing with the grief and guilt over the last mission. So what does the Colonel want from him? Only to flirt with his granddaughter Audrey to put doubts in her head about the man she’s thinking of marrying. No touching – she’s totally off limits, and the Colonel has made that perfectly clear.

“Oh, no,” Jamie corrected. “He’s as crafty as ever. He issued a curt guard-her-but-no-funny-business order and promised to – “ ……”Ah, yes, ‘Cut my dick off with a dull axe and force-feed it to me’ if I so much a looked at her with anything more than a friendly interest.”

Audrey (Audie) Kinkaid left the high-stress working world to open a “de-stressing” camp. Past relationships, including one that ended with a restraining order, has made her leery of “needy” men. She’s a bit of an empath and absorbs their bad energy, so she’s looking for a man who doesn’t need anything from her. Hence her hook-up with arrogant, self-absorbed Derrick. This is the only part of the book that I wasn’t pleased with. Audrey is written as an intelligent woman who wouldn’t put up with a lot – so I (and Bebo) didn’t understand how she could stay with this guy for one year. But it wasn’t as much of a problem that it ruined the book for me.

On an Amazon scale – 4 ½ (I know, you can’t do half stars there, but they should). The sexual tension in the book was good, the banter was wonderful – I laughed out-loud in quite a few places. The demons that hounded Jamie were understandable and sympathetic. The secondary character of Tewanda was great – adding to the comedic moments. I also like how Rhonda focused a bit on the other two men, so you get a feel for them before their books come out. I don’t regret paying full price for this, and I do certainly recommend it if you want a fun read.

Okay folks, I’m skipping the blogging for a couple of days (well, except for Jill) as I really have to get to work on this house. Since my best time to work is in the morning (my blogging time) and I still end up sleeping the afternoon away – something has to give. I’ll put up something for Wednesday, but don’t look for me to be around today or tomorrow. I’ll be back on Thursday. I have got to get this study back in shape so that I can commence to writing again.

I don’t have a second copy of this book, so no contest. But you can still enter for a copy of Closer … that contest doesn’t end until Tuesday night, 9:00 central. (I intentionally set it for two days because of the way blogger has been acting.)

20 comments:

Brandy said...

Ha! First again. See, I am OK.
This book sounds good, but like you, if the guy is 'ucky' why stick with him for a year? Hope you have a bit of fun while you're cleaning and straightening up! And yes, get back to the writing!!!!!

Bailey Stewart said...

*snort*

And Derrick is a pain - but thankfully he's only in one scene and then gone. And Tewanda zings him several times.

Brandy said...

Great! I love books where annoying characters get their cumuppance!!

Bailey Stewart said...

He doesn't really get his comeuppance because he's so wrapped up in himself that he doesn't fully realize he's been either insulted or ignored. He really is a non-issue in the book except as a reason for the Colonel to send Jamie there. I would have loved it though had she written a scene where Audrey tells him she's not marrying him.

But this by no means lessens the pleasure of the book. It was laugh out loud funny.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Eve, good luck with the study! A good workspace can do wonders with getting back to writing. =D

Unknown said...

Good luck with the study, Eve. It's a horrid job (I had a blitz on mine last night), but it will be great when you get it sorted and can get back to your writing. We'll miss you!

Bailey Stewart said...

I'm not going to be completely gone. I'll check my blog at lunchtime and then in the evening, plus my emails. I'm just not going to be "blogging". I'll try to catch up with everyone on Thursday.

I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night, which means I will only be good for working this morning. (Watch, the relatives will show up this afternoon when I need a nap). So this is the best way to deal with all of this chaos.

Sandy J said...

Great Avatar! And the books sounds intriguing. If you like it then I know I will also.

Denise McDonald said...

Sounds like a great book and I have a new space on my wish list (top spot in fact) so I shall put it there =)

Anonymous said...

Hurry the cleaning and straightening along so you can get back to writing. Can't wait to see the pics.

Here's an idea, if the relatives show up while your cleaning put them to work! LOL

Your driving me to the poor house with all the great books you've been posting lately!

Meretta said...

Good luck with the house, Eve and get some rest! 3 hours is not enough!

Bailey Stewart said...

Just checking in to make sure y'all are behaving yourselves. *gg*

I have a bunch of half finished jobs going here. Moving stuff around, so have to sweep and dust (I knew there was a reason I never moved things), but will probably be through with the main part of the house today. Tomorrow - if the kin folk hold off - I should be able to start on the study. But right now, I'm going to sleep. Meretta is right - can't function on 3 hours. So I'll be working on into the night.

Sandy - Bebo and I both laughed.

Dennie - yes you do, don't you. *gg*


Susan - I thought about that - but they're elderly, so I think that would fall under elder abuse. LOL And the pictures of the room will depend upon whether blogger will let me load pictures or not by then. I've complained, but nothing so far.

Meretta - you're right. Going to bed now.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you've really become busy reviewing your books. I looked at this book yesterday while I was out shopping but decided that I needed another author well, like I need another hole in my head. The five I came with are plenty--sometimes I really do wish that I could stick something in my ears enough that I don't hear so much any more.

I got "Closer" from Jo too. I'm glad that it's a good book. At the moment I'm scrambling to read my library books that are coming due. The problem is that I've got more of those coming too.

Tomorrow I'm off to see about getting new glasses. I'm really having a tough time seeing anything these days. I'm still missing my glasses for the monitor screen and am constantly putting my head down or up. I've been doing more down because putting my head up gives me a decided crimp in my neck with resulting headaches. I hope I can get trifocals on my pension. That would solve a few problems.

Hope you'll be able to get your study ready. I'm still trying to get my rooms set up properly. There's just too much stuff. Most of it I don't want to put in the basement because it's a little more sensitive: CDs, DVDs, VHSes, etc. But I do have to get cleaned up--definitely. I pray that both of us are successful.

Aah, if "The Player" is funny, I should at least read it. I'm trying to find the more funny ones. I feel how much I need that and Jill is really good for that. Problem is, I just can't buy anything at the moment. Very restricted in my spending.

Hope your mom's not doing too badly.

I saw this a while ago and I think it's very appropriate for both of us most days:

You know you're getting older when happy hour is nap time.

Hope you have a good one: day and nap.

Anonymous said...

Finally got my comment through on the fourth try. Is it my computer or still the blogger.com?

Melissa Amateis said...

Hope that you have a productive few days, Eve. I should really just switch off my internet while I'm working, too - but then there's those darn research questions I MUST have the answers to ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. Maybe we can add this to my "books borrowed" list? *begging*

Michele said...

I keep looking at the book but pass it up in favor of Lyn Veihls new Darkyn book Cara's Book and one other I picked up and already read.
I'm quiet today..not well.
Eldest son home sick too -
blech!
Happy writing Eve!

catslady said...

Oh, as much as I love my books (I'm definitely out of room) working in a used book store would be marvelous - and to be able to borrow them too would be heaven - lol.

Toni Anderson said...

Sounds like a nice premise :) Have fun doing your thang and don't forget the pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

I had to do the same thing yesterday. I was surprised how much I got done by skipping blogging. Of course, I did have to stay up last night!

Good luck getting back to us early!