Saturday, August 12, 2006

Goodbye Old Friend

Michael Dowd Jr. (Mike Douglas)
August 11, 1925 - August 11, 2006

Sad news for those of us of my generation. Friday, August 11, 2006 veteran talk show host Mike Douglas passed away on his 81st birthday. From 1961 to 1982 his show was the daytime place to be for the up and coming and the already famous. Aretha Franklin made her first TV appearance on his show. A 2-year-old Tiger Woods came on too. A lot of now famous people began as “Bumper Acts” or fill-ins – these were people who appeared when a scheduled guest couldn’t make it. Among them were Billy Crystal, Michael Keaton and Ben Vereen – all unknowns at the time. He was the voice of Prince Charming in Disney’s Cinderella, and his song “The Men in My Little Girl’s Life” reached number 6 on the U.S. charts – if you’ve never heard it, well, let’s say that was the song I always wanted played at my wedding reception when I danced with my father. It always brought a lump to my sentimental throat. All of my idols in youth visited his show and I tried never to miss it. To paraphrase Rosie O’Donnell “School was where I went between watching the Mike Douglas Show”; she studied him and modeled her own show after him. In fact, he was her first guest. A lot of memories there – John Lennon and Yoko Ono co-hosting for a week is one of them. I have to admit that I’d pretty much quit watching it towards the end of it’s run – but in the 70s it was a “must see”. Anyway, I didn’t want his passing to go un-noticed. Goodbye Mike, you gave a little girl a lot of thrills.


Edit: And if you want a laugh instead, go over to Stacy's blog where a bit of sisterly revenge (and a beautiful tribute) is on display.

22 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

OMG! I used to watch his show back in the 70s. I remember when John Lennon and Yoko Ono took over the hosting for almost a week. I loved that show. He's going to be missed. *sighs*

Bailey Stewart said...

I remember that too. Yes, another TV icon is gone.

Brandy said...

I have the feeling I should remember this gentleman, but I can't. But, I am sure his loss will be felt by the many that were "discovered" on his show.

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, Bailey. Mike started out in the general area where I lived.
He was smooth, professional, and a perfect gentleman.
I, too, have and will miss him.

Siobhan said...

I wish I could have seen John Lennon and Yoko Ono co-hosting this show - it must have been amazing! BTW I'm hosting a virtual ice cream party over at my place. Do drop by! This invitation is for all ice cream lovers. :-) In the meantime my DH and I are house hunting again today. Top priority has become a place suitable for the cats. Meow to that they say!

Michele said...

YOu're not alone,Brandy, in not remembering. I remember. But I was a kid and it meant nothing to me...just another adult spouting off. I hated talk shows! I thought "grown-up" talk was boring.
Heck , I didn't watch "talk shows" or even understand the excitement they generated until , what, the 80's?
All I remember of Mike Douglas was that I used to watch a favorite show at 4PM and then "poof!" , one day it was gone and Mike Douglas' show took it's place. For YEARS. Never watched a one - quite put out I was.
ONly later in life did I come to realize the genius that was Michael Douglas.

To be fair, iIt wasn't just his talk show I never watched. I had no idea what the hoopla was about for Regis and Kathy Lee. I walked into a restaurant that was having a promo for the show - even had life sized cardboard standup posters of them. Hadn't a clue who or what they were and the waitress looked at me as though I'd came from another planet.

But that's another story ....

Anonymous said...

I remember my mom having Mike Douglas on after the soaps...I was sad to hear he'd passed. What a pioneer!

Anonymous said...

We always had his show on in our house when I was a kid, too. What a legend.

Anonymous said...

My mom and I used to watch his show together every day. I remember seeing the Pointer Sisters and Jay Leno for the first time on his show. He was a true gentleman.

Anonymous said...

Paying an unexpected visit on a Saturday morning. Very nice tribute to a TV icon. He was a major producer of TV game shows, some still running ("Wheel of Fortune" I believe is one of them). He will definately be missed.

Jordan Summers said...

I loved Mike's show. He was always so nice to everyone. Plus, there was so much music. May he find peace.

Bailey Stewart said...

Um Suze - that's Merv Griffin. And he's still alive. But, if it makes you feel any better even Mike's obit mentioned that the two were often mixed up (I think it was even a quote from Mike Douglas himself), so you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of Mike Douglas of course but since he was on in the 70s that means that I missed him entirely because that was my decade away--in Germany. I'm glad at least some of you remember him so fondly. I know how it feels when an icon of our younger days dies: we start to feel our age too. May he truly rest in peace and in the memories and hearts of those to whom he really spoke, not just talked.

Melissa Amateis said...

I guess I don't remember watching this show. Maybe I was too young...

Bailey Stewart said...

All of you who were too young aren't making my day. LOL Yeah, I said it was my generation.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Loreth Anne. I've never had the opportunity to watch the show, but it sounds like an end of the era. You've paid a beautiful tribute to the legend of Mike Douglas.

catslady said...

I remember watching him - mostly in the summers because I wasn't allowed to watch TV that early in the day during school days and then later I was working.

Toni Anderson said...

What a shame :(

Kelly Boyce said...

Oh wow! I loved Mike Douglas. I remember watching him when I was a kid. Aw...that's sad news indeed.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I watch Cinderella all the time with my kids and when I was little. I didn't know that was his voice. Thanks for sharing, Bailey!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know he died! Sometimes I feel like I live in a bubble.

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

I always watched his show because he was so likable and his guests seemed so comfortable there. Really great entertainment. And I remember getting him and Merv Griffin mixed up when I was a kid too. :-)