Thursday, August 24, 2006

Review - Pale Immortal



Pale Immortal
By Anne Frasier

A century ago death walked the streets of Old Tuonela in the form of the Pale Immortal who drank the blood of his victims. After his death the town moved, leaving the buildings of Old Tuonela behind. But it wasn’t empty.

There was evil here.

An evil that had been growing. Waiting for the right time, the right circumstances, the right person to come along.

100 years later, death strikes again in Tuonela, a young girl drained of her blood. Fingers pointed to Evan Stroud, a man who suffered from a disease that kept him from the sunlight. Add to that his interest in the Pale Immortal and the word vampire came to everyone’s mind. Rachel Burton, his childhood friend and Tuonela’s coroner, was his only ally. Together they must face their darkest fears.

For death still walked the streets of Old Tuonela.

I have to admit to having a hard time getting started on this one, but after a couple of chapters I was caught up in the story. Anne Frasier's voice is clear and concise, descriptions riveting, characters three-dimensional. Reminiscent of the best of Stephen King, Ms. Frasier crafts a story like a master weaving a tale gone by. With each chapter the tension mounts towards the inevitable climax, its rhythm and pace ensnaring you in the story and holding you there until the end. I would give this book an Amazon four stars.



Don’t forget, today is the last day to enter the Aussie Rules contest. Winner announced tomorrow.

17 comments:

Brandy said...

The book sounds interesting and suspenseful.
Good luck to all those entered to win Aussie Rules, it was great!

Bailey Stewart said...

It is Brandy - a great book. I'll have a copy to give away in a couple of weeks.

Meretta said...

The cover for PALE IMMORTAL looks great. sigh. So many good books, so little time. ;)

Fall has come to our corner of the country. The leaves are changing and starting to drop. Shall I send some cool weather your way, Bailey?

Minna said...

I'd love to read that book! After all, Tuonela was the place where we Finns went after we died instead of heaven or hell. But that was before our neighbours, Swedes and Russians decided that we really need a new religion.

Lis said...

Ooh there's a finnish connection? Makes me even more intrigued to pick this one up.

Scott said...

That is too wierd. I just entered a flash fiction contest that Anne is helping to judge. The winner gets a signed copy of the book. Maybe you should enter. You can click through on my current post. Eerie timing.

Kelly Boyce said...

Oohhhh...that book sounds really good! Love the cover too.

Michele said...

Love the Domain and the top banner with all the playful kitties. :-)
Congrats!

Good luck to all who entered the contest...

Bailey Stewart said...

Yes please Meretta - although it's only 85 now - up close to 100 later.

Minna - yes, that's mentioned in the book. The area in the book was settled by Finns.

Loreth - Fall, yes, please.

Yes Lis, Finnish connection.

Scott - I know about the contest, I go to Anne's blog and am an infrequent visitor to Jason's. I just don't have the time.

Kelly - loved the book.

Michele - Thanks.

Okay, mom is being especially needy this morning, will not take her morning nap and insists that I sit with her. We're watching Rockford now (she's getting restless because I'm not in the room), next comes Matlock and then Magnum - then lunch and maybe I can get her to take her afternoon nap so that I can lay down. I really need that laptop - but I haven't been able to get my cousin on the phone. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail.

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh, and Minna - the place where people go instead of heaven or hell pretty much describes the book.

Anonymous said...

The book sounds very intriguing and the cover is great.

I hope you and your mom get to lay done this afternoon. The admiration I have for you and way you take care of her is beyond what I can put into words.

catslady said...

Oh, I have most of King's books and a new author (to me) of this genre sounds wonderful. I'll have to check it out.

My computer and TV are in the same room and I couldn't manage any other way. Hope that laptop is there for your soon.

Minna said...

By the way, Anne Frasier isn't the only one who's been inspired by Finnish stuff. Don Rosa has written a Disney comic, The Quest for Kalevala (published in UNCLE SCROOGE #334) and also such writers as Longfellow and Tolkien were also inspired by Kalevala.

Carol M said...

I've never read anything by Anne but I always like to try new authors. Pale Immortal sounds interesting.

I hate it when things get lost in the mail. I hope your laptop arrives soon!

Sandy J said...

Sounds like a great book. Can't wait to read it. I'm loving Aussie Rules right now!

Michele said...

Magnum? Rockford? Your Mom has great taste in TV shows!

anne frasier said...

bailey, thanks for the great review of PI! looks like you stirred up interest. :) and i see some familiar names over here today. small world!