Saturday, August 19, 2006

Gremlins and Glitches and Blogging, Oh My!

Just in case you've been wondering where I've been ... I'm here, reading people's blogs, minding my own business ... unable to comment. Have I mentioned how my computer hates me? I think it's turned my DSL box against me too. Remember how I was having a problem with the internet going off around 8:30 p.m. and not coming back on until around 7:00 a.m. the next morning? Well it's stopped that - at least on a regular basis, now it just does it for a half hour or so. Its new game is even better. I can go to people's blogs but when I hit comment - crash, the little green DSL light turns red and starts blinking and the internet goes off. When I close the comment window or hit the back button (depending upon how your comments are done) the internet goes back on. It doesn't actually do it on every blog - I can still get on Jill's (Thank.You.), Jo Leigh's, Saskia, Joely's and a couple of others, but if I haven't commented on yours since around Tuesday night - my DSL doesn't like you. There's no rhyme or reason - no certain "type" of blog like blogger or bravenet, just weirdness - not even my own. Yep, I can post but 90% of the time I can't even comment on my own blog. My email is fine. I did manage to get on Brandy's Thursday night - so I keep going to your blogs and trying. I and the phone company are going to have a long talk on Monday if this doesn't clear up soon. The first problem corrected itself on its own, so we'll see. I'm just feeling cut-off. So now I'm off to try again. Maybe I'll see you, maybe I won't.

20 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

Well what do you know. Lookie here. So far, every blog I've hit has been okay - I'm to the "c's" - we'll see how long this lasts. Maybe this is what I needed to do all along - rant about it. Maybe I embarrassed the poor little DSL box. Maybe it's feeling sorry for me. Maybe it didn't realize how badly it was hurting me. Maybe I'm losing my mind ... *gg*

Brandy said...

Nah, you're not losing your mind. The evil DSL box just wants you to think so! I am glad that so far tonight *crossing fingers* you've been able to hop and comment!

Bailey Stewart said...

Okay - it's 11:00p.m. and I've made it to the "L's" but I'm getting tired, so more tomorrow if this piece of you know what holds up.

Danica Favorite said...

Well, I hope you get it figured out soon!

Anonymous said...

Bailey, LOTS of people seem to be having blog/e-mail problems.
It's kinda far out.

And nooooo, Mercury isn't in retrograde, so next time somebody brings that up, I'm gonna go
:-p~~~~~~~~~~

Diane said...

Welcome back.

Jacqueline Hutchinson said...

Oh that sucks! I find that my 'internet' acts that way but usually only when blogger is having a problem. I can read all the blogs I want, but often can't comment because the comment window won't open - OR better yet, I can comment but the image for some blogs like yours for the word verification doesn't appear and so I can't post because I can't verify...I think it's blogger - mind you if it happened on Tuesday, Tuesdays are Windows Update Days....I wonder if it could be that (if you use Windows)as it seems to coincide with some problems others are having.

Anonymous said...

I think the gremlins are having back-to-school issues. *g*

Anonymous said...

Hi, there, commenting on your own blog. Yippee. Crossing everything that's possible in hopes that it lasts.

You know, it was strange. Ever since I got this computer set up differently about a month after my mother died, it kept freezing on me. No rhyme or reason in that either. A few weeks after I installed it in this place, that suddenly stopped. Don't know why.

I know my mother always had problems with watches that had batteries. Guess who's having problems now?

Did you get the DSL box from the phone company? I don't have one but I supposedly have DSL light which means that instead of paying $45.95 or something like that, I'm paying $24.95. But I sure notice the difference. And I keep having to empty my "Temporary Internet Files" or it won't let me call up new sites.

I've come to the definite conclusion that the computer world is totally crazy. I'm with you on thinking I'm losing my mind. Once I seem to have gotten rid of--mind you, I'm deliberately not saying "solved"--a problem, I seem to have at least one other or more. It's *so* discouraging.

Something's weird. My name won't come up as an identity. Argh! Not something else to vex and hex me.

Jordan Summers said...

I think you might be right about gremlins. *g*

Anonymous said...

Gremlins are very evil buggers! Hopefully you will exterminate them soon.

Lis said...

Hope it clears up soon. Have you tried unplugging it from the comp and reattaching it? Maybe there's a reset button? (just going through the steps we do with mine when it goes finickity)

Ruby, are you on Telus? I'm on dsl light with them and it likes to cut me off every once in awhile for no reason. I'll have to try clearing out the temp files and see if it helps

Anonymous said...

Eve, big hugs on DSL problems! I know it's frustrating. I hope your DSL will be nice and healthy soon (I have a selfish reason for it, too - I love having you visit at my blog).

catslady said...

Computers - can't live with them and can't live without them :)

jacqui d - I find that if I hit post even though the letters for word verification aren't there that they show up the next time and you don't lose your post. (you got to outsmart the gremlins hehe)

Carol M said...

I hope it keeps working for you. I think about getting DSL but I have enough problems with my computer and I don't want anymore!
Jeanne is right about computers! lol

Anonymous said...

That is a big peeve...when the computer just want do what you need it to!

Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well selfishly I'm glad you can still show up at my blog. Hope it gets fixed VERY soon.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I've been having problems with DH's computer, too (mine is still in the shop, like 3 weeks now). I have to clear the temp internet files to post a comment. I hope your DSL issues are resolved soon!

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! Hope you give them what-for :) Can we read a transcript?

Unknown said...

Good luck with the gremlins. As Blogger has always hated me, I know how you feel...