Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Huh?

For your entertainment, actual similes and metaphors found by high school English teachers from across the country in their student's essays.

- Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

- His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances, like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

- He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.

- She grew on him like she was a colony of e-coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

- She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

- Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

25 comments:

Brandy said...

I keep telling you, these are scarey!

Lis said...

Some of the people I went to school with, make these ones look like geniuses lol

Anonymous said...

Isn't this wonderfully imaginative though??

God bless our English teachers...

Unknown said...

Frightening. Very funny though. :o)

Diane said...

Well, they're certainly, erm, deep - and quite original ...

Michele said...

Ecoli and Beef? These are hysterical! Love the influx of new words and 21st century viewpoints that you'd never see together 20 years ago.
Cool.

Love the last one .."whatever"
LOL!

Scott said...

I got such a good laugh from that. It reminded me of some of my first stories when I was a kid. My teacher laughed so hard when he read a particularly awkward passage.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oooh, the e-coli one gave me a story idea. KIDDING!

Meretta said...

Love the one about the laugh. I can conjure that image with no problem. ICK!

Have a great day, Bailey.

Christa said...

>She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.<
You mean it's not a good idea too sound like that, no wonder I'm still single.

This morning I got up, took my shower, as I was going to the kitchen I passed right by the computer. Didn't stop, even though it was tempting, went to the kitchen, made my pot of coffee and then did the dishes. These are the same dishes I never got around to doing yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, a bunch of budding writers, lol!

Melissa Amateis said...

LMAO!!! These are priceless.

Anonymous said...

*snicker* Sorta makes the future look a little scary. *g*

Anonymous said...

Our tax dollars at work. It's good to know the money is being put to develope the creative writing skills of young people. lol

Kelley Nyrae said...

Those are pretty funny. A bit scary, but funny.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! rotfl

Kelly Boyce said...

Those are two funny!

Carol M said...

They are very different from anything I've ever read! lol

Jordan Summers said...

*ggg*

catslady said...

The sad thing is they probably thought they were good!!

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Well if I ever get a bout of writer’s block then I know where to turn. ;-)

Anonymous said...

LOL--I just shared these with my students the other day...

Brandy said...

Our future leaders? Huh. Is it too late to move to another country?

Lexi said...

Ah yes, and so appropriate as some of us start back to school. Yes, these are our future leaders. God help us all!

Anonymous said...

Priceless! LOL

I love that one about the e-coli and Canadian beef.

As Raine says they are "wonderfully imaginative" and not the same old same old. I guess their assignment must have been to find new similes.

Too bad I've never heard a dog just before it throws up.