Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hmmmm

There aren’t too many certainties in life. The Irish have a saying: There are only two things to worry about, living and dying. If you live, you had nothing to worry about; if you die you have nothing to worry about. So we know that there are at least two certainties – living and dying. Benjamin Franklin, who I don’t think was Irish, had his own ideas – and I’ll paraphrase – there are only two things for certain, death and taxes. There’s that death thing again. So I guess we can say for sure that death is a certainty. Taxes and living tie for second place. I have a point, hold on. In the writing world there are also certain “certainties”. The first? That the book sucks; the voices will harass, unmercifully, the muses are going to laugh, stick the “L” on their forehead and fly off to Monte Carlo. The second? The writing will flow; the voices put a cork in it and the muses smile, dance nekkid around your desk and throw confetti. I think my first hint was when the travel agency called to confirm my reservation for two to Aruba. Lonestar Reunion is not working AT THIS TIME. Will it ever? Yes. As soon as it decides to quit acting like a prima donna and cooperate, we’ll get back to it. You see, it was originally conceived back in another millennium (well it was the 20th century) as a writing project for my sister-in-law (Bebo the Fire Breathing Dragon) and myself. Four romantic suspense stories that had a continuing mystery throughout – with each book solving a bit of the mystery. When I took it over last Fall I tried to continue the mystery, but the muses decided that it was going to be a romantic comedy. No problem. I can be funny when I want to. Everything was going fine and then BANG!
The story begins with Maxie (Skye, our heroines mother) reading tarot cards – she’s not very good, and doesn’t really have a clue about what she’s doing, but suddenly the cards line-up and she can’t believe what they say:

Souls come together that were meant to be
Queens find their mates and meet their destiny
One, in a friend her heart she will see
One finds a rebel to set her free
One finds the man she can never be
One must live the fantasy

Cool, huh? Each line refers to the heroines in the books.

So, I’m reading it the other night and the following pops into my head:

All be aware of the darkening sky,
Shadows that grow while the moon hangs high,
Secrets that cannot be denied,
Of the who, what, where and why.
The first may lose what they hold most dear.
The second must face their biggest fear.
The third has a secret at first unclear.
The fourth, unaware of danger near.

Where did that come from? Now the thing wants to be a mystery again. I can do that – sort of a romantic comedy suspense like Jill’s Get a Clue. Only I have no idea what the mystery is. I kind of do in a couple, but the first one, no way. And what secret? Come on, give a poor writer a break.

So, the muses reservations are for the end of the month. I’m going to pull out another story, Operation: Eden, that some of you from the bravenet blog might recognize. We’ll see where that one leads – at least I know that it’s a mystery, it’s a workable romantic comedy mystery, and it doesn’t hate me … yet.
Don't forget that there's a contest on for a copy of Anne Frasier's Pale Immortal.

19 comments:

Brandy said...

I have faith that the muses trip will be rained out!!

Brandy said...

Oh, and loving the dress the avatar has on. Daughter loved the Unicorn.

Bailey Stewart said...

Thankyou, thankyouverymuch.

I was in a fanciful mood. Michele's had me in a good mood all evening.

AND, mom is sleeping without yelling out - one down, several more to go.

catslady said...

Oh I loved the second part that popped into your head. Sounds intriguing.

Glad your mom is sleeping better.

Lis said...

Love the new bit and the tarot part. Definitely peaks my interest :)
And hopefully the muses will cancel their trip!

Anonymous said...

Bailey.

You need to write.

Scott said...

I'm a sucker for the supernatural. Lost, a very good show, uses a twist of it every now and then to good effect. I would take Devon up on the offer. I don't think Tarot cards would invoke a poem from the mind. The idea is great, but how the reader communicates or sees what is being read probably needs to change.

Denise McDonald said...

muses . . yes, I need to rein mine in and make them stop thinking of country singers and get to work!

Kelly Boyce said...

Good luck with the new/old manuscript.

Meretta said...

Love the tarot card concept for the characters. Excellent.

And I'm thinking, (be careful!), that perhaps we have troubles with books evolving because as we grow and change from day to day and month to month that so will our books.

Just a theory.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've often heard in interviews with writers that the story or a character will take on a life of its own taking them in a direction they didn't foresee. But being allowed to take that journey with you as "Reunion" unfolds is amazing. Thank you.

Not being a writer by any sense of the word, I'm guessing if the muses want their stories told, they will be back to fill in the blanks. In the meantime, I'm glad you're moving on to another WIP.

Happy writing!

Anonymous said...

I like the poems. It certainly builds mystery and gets you interested. Yes, I think the muses have paid you a coveted visit!

Anonymous said...

In writing Get A Clue I agonized over the whodunit. I didn't know who "dunit" until the very ending myself .... sometimes that really works, lol!

Anonymous said...

I remember Operation: Eden! :)

You have to keep writing or the voices will never give you a moment of peace.

Melissa Amateis said...

It always amazes me how our books have a tendency to switch courses and want to be something else.

Toni Anderson said...

Like the Tarot concept and the four interwoven stories. I love mysteries. Maybe you should kill someone they all know and see where that leads you. ;-0

Have never had my cards read but I'd love too.

Laurie Wood said...

Baily, I"d give Operation: Eden a chance! If poems are just spilling out of you, get your cards read and see what happens! It sure can't hurt - your subconcious is at work and talking to you - listen and write down what it's telling you, this could be THE book!

Carol M said...

I agree with Raine. You need to write! We want to read your stories!

Glad your mom is doing better.

Sandy J said...

I just wish my muses would make up their mind. They must be Libras like me, :-)