Sunday, September 10, 2006

We're Talking Football

It’s that time of the year now, when my blog is literally taken over on Sunday by the men of the gridiron. I love NFL – I really don’t care who’s playing as long as it’s an NFL game. I have two teams – the Cowboys and the Raiders. I don’t think it’s the Raiders year, but I’ll follow them anyway. The Cowboys? I don’t believe they’ll hit the Superbowl this year – but I do expect them to go further in the playoffs than they did last season. I’m not sure about the kicker position. I wasn’t familiar with Vanderjagt before he came to the Cowboys so I have nothing but his performance here to base anything on – but so far I’m not impressed. I know he’s hurt, but didn’t he lose his last job by missing a field goal – even going to the right like he did the other day? And Shoeshine (yes, I know that’s not his name – that’s just what I call him) hasn’t really showed that he can do the job. I think that’s still one of our weakest positions. Flozell seems to be mended, but we’ll see – a healthy Adams would be wonderful. Does anybody think that Julius Jones can make it all the way through a season – he hasn’t yet. The Dallas Morning News did list some interesting stats – comparing Jones’ first 19 games with Tony Dorsett’s and Emmitt Smith’s.

I tried to do this as a table, but I can't read HTML for Dummies fast enough:


Tony Dorsett: 100-yard games - 7; 80-plus-yard games - 8; Carries - 363; Rushing yards - 1,722; Touchdowns - 8.
Emmitt Smith: 100-yard games - 6; 80-plus-yard games - 7; Carries - 318; Rushing yards - 1,385; Touchdowns - 14.
Julius Jones: 100-yard games - 4; 80-plus-yard games - 11; Carries - 441; Rushing yards - 1,780; Touchdowns - 12.

Not bad, not bad at all.

T.O.: Will he ever be able to get into rhythm with Drew Bledsoe? Does it really matter? I’m not sure that it does. I think T.O.’s biggest contribution to the team will be his presence on the field. Remember when Deion Sanders came to the Cowboys? Teams were so busy double covering him that it opened up a lot of opportunities for other players. I think the same will happen with T.O. – people will still be afraid of him and send what they have at him. And even if they double team both Owens and Terry Glenn – that will leave a lot of openings for Crayton, Witton and even Hurd (who impressed me).

So, who do you think is Superbowl bound? I think the Steelers have a shot. What about any team with a Manning at the helm? Give me your thoughts. Really – team loyalty aside – come on, you can do it.

27 comments:

Brandy said...

I know nothing about football, but stopped in to say "HI".

Fannie said...

Just want to wish you a great week-end. I don't do football. I am into NASCAR and that is all the sports related stuff I watch. Have fun this week-end and Hugs to you.

Bailey Stewart said...

I warned y'all that come football season, Sunday's blog will be all NFL. But you're welcome to come by and say hi any time.

Brandy said...

Nachos? Did someone say Nachos? *G*

Carol M said...

I hope the Steelers can do it! It would be so exciting if they could make it to the Superbowl again this year!

Siobhan said...

Don't understand American football but I don't understand rugby either. Check out the mewsletter link on my blog! It's been updated at last.

Denise McDonald said...

I have friggin Vander-miss-every-on-try on my fantasy team - darn it!

go go COWBOYS!

Bailey Stewart said...

Carol - Finally, a FAN!!!

Dennie - And finally, a COWBOY FAN!!

Where's Scott?

Rene said...

T.O. is a cancer on any team he is a part of. I doubt he will finish the season. I can't stand that man. I didn't much care for Deion either, even when he was a Niner. Watch for your buddy Emmitt (whom I always liked) on "Dancing with the Stars."

I think Seattle is bound for the Super Bowl. My Niners are in the toilet. I think the Steelers are going to be tough this year but I'm putting my bets on the Seahawks. I'd like to see Philly do well just to rub T.O.'s nose in it. I always enjoy watching Peyton Manning play although I don't think the Colts will make it.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

My team is the Chiefs. I think we'll be lucky to break 8-8 this year. I admire Manning and Dungy at Indianpolis, and I'd like to see them go one year. I think Dallas, Giants, Denver, San Diego, Carolina will all be tough this year.

Meretta said...

Ummm, don't know much about the CFL. Even less about the NFL. I *did* have an elementary social studies teacher who was a linebacker for the Edmonton Eskimos though. That was always interesting. We used to hang on his arms and he'd do curls with about 6 of hanging on.

Meretta said...

6 of "us" hanging on.

Wolfy said...

I don't know much about the NFL football other than your season runs so much longer than our CFL season runs up here. As for our season here I am hoping that the home team goes all the way. Our whole season is over before the end of November. My son when he lived at home followed the NFL all the time and I was a little more clued in then but that was quite a few years ago.

Cryna

Bailey Stewart said...

All right - football dialogue! (it's okay Meretta - just hang around and we'll teach ya - and I'm glad you clarified the "6" remark *gg*)

Rene - I think you're right about the Seahawks. And don't get me wrong - I hate T.O. - I just think that the only big contribution he'll make is as a distraction on the field. I could stand Deion more than I can T.O. Should my Raiders and your 49ers just go have a picnic at Golden Gate Park. LOL

Joely - At least your Chiefs are better than the Raiders - I know, not saying much. Giants and Carolina are good (I have this "thing" about Denver ...), San Diego? Guess I haven't been paying a lot of attention. And as far as Dallas - I'm just going for improvement - I believe that if they improve this year then next year we're Superbowl bound.

Scott?

Meretta - just noticed - you changed your hair. I like it.

Bailey Stewart said...

Hey Cryna - I have to admit that the only thing I know about the CFL is that that's where Doug Flutie played and we got a few players from there - I'm so clueless if it isn't NFL.

Scott said...

Thanks for the reminder Bailey. My first hope is that the Cowboys are the best team in the division. If Flozell is really back, and I mean really, then we have a chance. We can only give one tackle tied end help. Teams are going to have a real headache covering our group of receivers. They will not be able to stack eight men in the box to stop the run. We have TO now, and that means they have to choose who to double cover, him or Glenn. Frankly, I don't care who they choose, because either will make them pay.

I think the Steelers for the AFC goes to the Superbowl again. I'm going to be a Homer and say that the Cowboys will go too. It all depends on our offensive line. It doesn't matter if JuJo stays healthy or not, because we have MBIII, who may be a better back. Our defense will keep us in every game. If our OLine can protect, we've got a passing game, which means we have a running game too. Witten, Fasano, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Rector, and oh yeah, TO. They will all make you pay.

We've got a top notch back up quarterback in Romo, and Bledsoe is amazing. This could be our year. I can easily see it not being our year, but if the Oline holds up, fuhget abouddit.

Next year for sure. We will beef up the line and get younger at corner, and maybe another project quarterback. Things are looking very good.

Bailey Stewart said...

There you are!

The majority of our paper's sports writers have picked the Cowboys for the NFC East title - and they didn't last year (just in case you think they did out of loyalty). I'd love to be a Homer and say Cowboys Superbowl - but I will go on record to say (healthy players) we will win the division title.

Vandermissjagt didn't go with them today - it's up to Shoeshine.

I think Barber and Jones are good in different ways. Jones is a finesser (sp?) - fast and wily. Barber reminds me more of Emmitt in that he's not easy to tackle, he's stronger than Jones and barrels his way through. I like them both as a team - using whichever one is good for a certain run.

Bailey Stewart said...

Um Joely? What's KC doing?

Bailey Stewart said...

I did say that I thought the Cowboys would come in last in their division, didn't I? *gg*

Scott said...

Well, that sure didn't look like a team headed for the SuperBowl. No, I can't say I think they will go the distance, nor do I think they can win the division, not if something doesn't change real quickly. Bledsoe looked absolutely awful. I know its only the first game, and the season is long, but man, what a letdown. In the first quarter I was thinking, wow! We really have something this year.

catslady said...

oh oh oh big steeler fan here :)

'74 and '75 they won
'77 and '78 they won

'06 they won sooooo I predict
'07 win :)

We had season tickets for the 70's (pre-kids lol)

Bailey Stewart said...

Um, Jeanne:

Jan'72, Jan 78 they won
Jan '93, Jan 94 they won
Jan '96 they won

Hmmm, took Pitt over 25 years to win again - I don't think it will take the 'Boys that long. (told ya not to rub it in)

Scott - I quit thinking after half-time.

Toni Anderson said...

OMG--not again! Why can't they have a strike like the hockey??

Just kidding ;-)

Lis said...

Oh please, not another hockey strike!! *mumbles about the insanity that is Gary Bettman*

I don't follow a lot of NFL, but I do like the New England Patriots and the Cowboys :)

catslady said...

hahaha that's what I get for asking my husband for the dates - but I was almost right - '74 and '75 was right. then '78 and '79. and we won last year :)

Bailey Stewart said...

Well, I had to look it up because you had me confused. It's hard when the Super Bowl is played in a different year - we have to remember that the season began the September before.

They won last year? Really? I didn't know that. LOL

catslady said...

I do believe I gloated a bit on their win last year lol. They were in some playoffs but didn't win the superbowl for 28 years.