Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Aussie Rules


I have to admit that when I first began reading this book it reminded me of one Jill's earlier works Love is in the Air from the Paris or Bust anthology, as they both take place in an airport with a spunky heroine and quick-witted hero, but I was soon assured that this was not a re-hash but a great story all on its own. Bo Black, the sexiest hero to come along, arrives at the North Beach Airport looking for what he believes is rightfully his. Melanie Anderson, aka Mel, is the owner of Anderson Air and the custodian of not only the airport, but the caretaker of the group of people who work there. She believes that the airport belongs to Sally, the woman that took her under her wing and provided her with the unconditional love that she so sorely lacked in her home life. She also believes that Bo is a con artist just like his father and she is very suspicious of his motives for returning to town. Bo believes that Sally was the swindler and that her actions led to his dad's death. He has the deed to the airfield and intends to take it over. He didn't count on Mel and her unflinching loyalty to Sally and the people around her. Together they work to find the truth and along the way they fall in love. Aussie Rules is a wonderful book full of humor and romance. It's the kind of work that I have come to expect from Jill and she does not disappoint. Once again she gives us secondary characters and plotlines that enhances the main story instead of detracts, as happens in a lot of romances. It's an enjoyable journey down the rocky road to love - get ready for a bumpy ride. If you want a good romantic comedy, then this is the book for you. Highly recommended.

So, would you like to win a copy of Aussie Rules? I have the ARC and I'm very partial to keeping them - they're just more special to me. But I also like to support the author, so I also buy the print copy. So what to do with the nice, pristine book that arrived the other day? Give it to one of you, of course. Now, I had planned to do a "get acquainted with Jill" quiz, but then I realized that I dilemma that you can help me out with. You know I'm working on this anthology, and I have names for all of my characters except for one. The heroine for my Josh Holloway character - Scott. When these characters were first created years ago, the books were to be written by Bebo and myself. Scott's story was to be written by Bebo and she had picked out the name Kate for her heroine. Now it's my story, and I can't go with that name. Kate is short of Katherine, and my sister's name is Catherine - some of you already know my problem with my sister, so that name is a no-go. I need a name for an up-tight photographer who has been burned by a past relationship. I don't have a last name for her either, but that's no big deal now. I want to at least mention all of the characters names in the first book, so I really need this now. And this might be the next book in the series, and since I'm on page 48 of what should be about 100 pages, I'm not far from finishing the first one.

What do you do? Give me names. On Friday I'll pick the one that I like the best and that person gets this copy of Aussie Rules. Come on, I know you can do this.

43 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, oh, oh, ever since Jill posted an excerpt a few weeks ago on her blog, I've been anxious to read more about Bo Black! How about Chelsea?

Bailey Stewart said...

Chelsea sounds good. Keep it going - you have all week. And it is a great book, trust me.

Lis said...

Hmmm, let me see. Skye? Jensen? Dawn? Rachel? Tamara? I'll have to think of some more, I've got half the baby name sites on the web bookmarked

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh Lis, you forgot that Skye is the heroine of the first story - I don't think I'm writing that kind of a book this time. LOL

And yes everyone, you can add as many as you want.

Brandy said...

I vote for Lily. Or Andrea. Or Corrine. How are those?

Bailey Stewart said...

Silly, I'm not choosing until Friday - I'll let you know then. *gg*

But you have the right idea.

Christa said...

Sandra.
For some reason Evelyne keeps coming to mind.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I pick Danielle. Hope you get the right name, Eve. =D

Danica Favorite said...

Oh I am so jealous!! I haven't gotten that one yet. :(

Let's see, uptight photographer... Barbara Childers
Patricia Gordon
(and for fun, the hero could shorten it to something like Trish and it could totally piss her off until she realizes she loves him)
Virginia Boyd
Natalie Irving
Sarah Powell
Paige Smith

Lis said...

D'oh my brain isn't working, I thought Skye seemed somehow familiar. Hmmm. I'll think on it tonight :oD

Bailey Stewart said...

Christa - I'm not naming a heroine Evelyn - ever.

Kelly - that's the idea.

Danica - and last names too. That works.

Lis - LOL. And you have all week.

Listen folks, I know that the more people the less your chances, but I really need this name, so please spread the word.

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh, and some more things. She would have been born between 1978 and 1982 and in a small town in Texas. The other women's names are Skye Thornton, Logan Sanders and Jude McReynolds. This character will be with Scott Thornton. Right now, that's all of the info I can give you about her.

Denise McDonald said...

I've always been partial to McDonald - hehehe or Wood (my maiden name)...

I have already used Cece and SJ's names (all of their names actually...)

I'd share more but I hoard names as when I find one I like - I will write the book around it - no one ever said I ain't weird!

Sandy J said...

I know a Mykie (sounds like Mikey) which is short for her real name Mychelle that was born about that time and she reminds me a lot of what you are describing.

I'm still thinking...

Oh, and I love the Avatar's clothes today. Wishful thinking on my part also!!!

Anonymous said...

Some names that I like that were born around the same time as me (I was born in 1981):

Taylor
Nicole
Brooke
Rian or Ryan
Emma
Stacey
Erica
Rachel
Caitlyn
Alicia
Paige
Tara
Kelly
Ava

Thats all I can think of... my
brain is fried!

Kristie

Melissa Amateis said...

Hmm...ok, I'll try.

Cassie
Jillian
Elizabeth, "Bess" or Lizzie

Anonymous said...

You should be writing the cover blurbs for all of Jill's books! :)

Good luck with the next 50 or so pages.

Brianna (Brandi for short)
Cara
Susannah

Kelley Nyrae said...

Aussie Rules sounds great. I am really excited to read this one!! As for names, here goes a few.

Rose
Sadie
Sasha
Madison

Toni Anderson said...

Chrystal McKlintock

Bailey Stewart said...

Susan - LOL

Hi Stacy - welcome to my insanity ward.

Sandy - I want Jill's snow.

Everybody else - you're doing good.

Rene said...

I like the name Claire. Old fashined, slightly cool, smart. I wanted to name by daughter Claire but was out-voted by the other members of the clan.

catslady said...

Oh lot's of great names but I'm going to bow out of this one because I just received my book in the mail today - woohoo.

Bailey Stewart said...

Good afternoon Loreth - How's the edits going? *gg*

Rene - Claire's good too.

Jeanne - you can always enter, but if you don't want to, then maybe you can vote.

Brandy said...

Oooh, I have another....Maureen. (like Maurenn O'Hara, she was so cool and classy, unless she was po'ed and then she was fiery). Last names......Morgan, James, Casey *g*, Grayson, hmmmm, will keep thinking.

Christa said...

You don't like Evelyn for a h. LOL.
How bout Veronica(Ronnie or I've heard it shorten to Vee). I've heard the name Annika and Martina.

Anonymous said...

Ok, some names coming up; I can definitely see why Kate would be a no-go.

Marlis, Marlene, Anika, Kristyn (too close?), Donna, Ruth, Marla, Paula, Tracy, Jaqui, Morgan, Joan, Joanna, Meagan, Jocelyn, Margo, Vera, Rita, Lisa, Louise, Mallory, Susan, Bettina, Octavia, Juliane, Charlotte, Bailey, June, Jenna, Alysa, Christiane, Kirsten, Alix, Marian, Lynette, Antonia, Ashley, Amanda, Lynsey, Lorna, Holly, Gabrielle, Giselle, Thea.

I know some of these are very girlie to me but from some of them you can make a nickname that isn't. Some are actually male names as well.

Did I tell you that I almost ended up being an Evelyn too? The problem was that there were already a couple in the family and my mother wanted one that was different. Well, she and my grandmother sure found it. It's not uncommon in Germany but certainly not among the top 100.

Denise McDonald said...

you know, when i am really stuck, I pull out the old year book... lets just hop some of my classmates never read my books!!!

Anonymous said...

I know I won't be in the drawing, but since you aren't using my "Kate" (after Ms Hepburn, not your sister) then how about:
Molly
Hannah
Sheridan (Sheri)
Leah
Maura / Moira / Maya
Colleen

Okay, I'm done.
And I can add my vote that AUSSIE RULES rules!! ;P

Bailey Stewart said...

Brandy - you get the idea.

Christa - no, no, no on Evelyn.

Ruby - good list going. And no, you never mentioned you were nearly an Evelyn.

Dennie - I have lots of baby name books, I just thought it would be more fun this way.

Loreth - who are you? *gg*

Bebo - and of course I can't use any of your names ...

Michele said...

Names,hmmmm?

Francesca Therrien
Nadine Holder
Hannah Voss
Magdalena Bruelle
Courtney Slater
Antonia Chavez
Elnora Calvert
Naomi Stapleton
Hope Lockhart
Melissa Kimball
Elsie Harris
Sally Bauer
Erica Gonzalez
Thea Alvarez
Lindsey Huber
Rachel Cortez
Delina Brouchette
Delia Jackson

You have Spam-a-rama Fridays, I have Name that Spam ... these are names from my SPAM list.
cool, huh? Of course, I mixed and matched them to my preference. Who'd have thought to use SPAM as name inspiration?
Only someone as kooky as me, LOL

Anonymous said...

Sarah
Taylor
And of course there is always Jill in honor of the one and only Jill Shalvis!

Bailey Stewart said...

Susan - on no, I think she'd shoot me. *gg*

Denise McDonald said...

I like going for the different
Reed, Collyn, Ryan (or spelled Rion), Alex - all girl's names - I knew one of each - that were girls!

(you know, sometimes I think that word verification says it's wrong just to make you do it again - I know I put them in right the first time - sheesh!)

Anonymous said...

Erin
Ashley (this is a personal favorite even if Peggy used it first)
Leslie
Bethany (Beth)
Brianne
Alison (Ali)

Here's my contribution.

Carol M said...

Oh I would love to win Jill's book!

I like the names Emily, Carol (lol), Karen or Karin, and Elena

Bailey Stewart said...

Dennie - word verification is evil.

Susie and Carol - got it.

Laurie Wood said...

How about Milena?

Milena Cathcart because she's from Texas, but her mother's Greek from a weathly New York family(Milena's a Greek name)

Melrose
Emily
Sascha
Kali
Kira

That's all I've got! :)

Bailey Stewart said...

That's all? Sheesh, only six names? *gg* It's all good Laurie, I have them noted down.

Kelley Nyrae said...

I'm adding one more to my list.
Stella

Anonymous said...

I was in such a hurry to get to the deadline that I posted some of the names I had gathered here and there yesterday on Thursday's blog. At the moment it's the last one. I did still want to comment on today's blog.

Brandy said...

Did someone mention Corrine? Lorna? Poppy? Margaret, called Maggie? I know I already said Lily, what about Lillian? Ok, I'm now done.

Lis said...

I'm adding a couple more :o)

Abby, short for Abigail. Marcia. Candace

Bailey Stewart said...

That's it, contest closed, no more names.

Winner tomorrow (Friday)