Monday, May 15, 2006

It Begins

What begins? The countdown to Bebo's leaving. I'm sitting here right now in the semi-dark listening to her cough down the hall. Asthma is giving her a little bit of trouble right now. But I'm going to miss that coughing, just like I missed my father's snoring when he was gone. This is our last week here, together. It's been a bit of an adventure - a little trial and triumph. I know there were times when we got on each other's nerves, but we made it without any blowups or arguments with our friendship intact. So I thought I'd write tonight about what I won't miss when she's gone. So here goes:

1) Cat's fighting. There'll be peace in this house from the furry ones for the first time in six years. No, Bebo hasn't been here for six years, but until the loss of Siobhan and Cassidy there has always been dissention in the furry ranks. The four left when she leaves all get along pretty good, so that will be a little different.

2) Those damn boxes in front of her bedroom door. We have them there to keep her cats and mine from fighting under the door and making it rattle all night. Having to get by them down the hall, or stepping over them to enter the room has been irritating. I'll be glad to have that over with.

3) Sharing the bathroom, making sure that I've gone in the morning before she gets up - otherwise I have to just hold it until she's done with her shower. Next time, separate bathrooms.

4) Having only one TV to record my shows on. The networks are always scheduling stuff opposite each other that I want to see, and I would have to beg her to tape one of them for me. Like Tuesday, when I have to ask her to tape a special for me that's opposite NCIS and AI.

5) Having to be quiet - Monday nights Mom and I watch Leno, so I'd have to remember to keep the volume down because the den is next to her bedroom. I also won't miss having to keep Mom quiet on the occasional Sunday morning when Bebo might sleep a little late.

6) Bebo the Fire Breathing Dragon Bitch From Hell. She knows what I mean.

That's it. My that was a short list.

Nothing more tonight - oh, wait. Did I tell you I hurt my back today? It wasn't from lifting boxes either. I was carrying a box of books down the hall and into the living room. I couldn't see my feet (that's important - and no, it wasn't a cat). As I rounded the corner in the hall I tripped over one of those boxes mentioned in #2. I didn't fall, but banged up against the wall and slammed my right foot down to catch my balance thereby wrenching my back. It's pretty painful right now, although the Advil helped. I can't sit at the computer very long. I don't know how it will feel in the morning, but if you don't hear from me for a while, then you'll know why.

28 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Hi Eve, I hope you had a great Mother's Day with your mom. I read your letter. So heartfelt and touching. Thanks for sharing with us!

Take care of that back. =)

Anonymous said...

You wrote such a great letter to your mom. A lot of what you mentioned is true for mine too--except that I wasn't her baby; I was her big girl. She did most of the child-rearing at our place. My father only stepped in occasionally. But his values and morals were the same as hers except for the fact that he thought children should be seen and not heard, he was a pretty good dad, though my mother maintained to the end that he was a better husband than father. She learned charity, grace and tolerance of others supposedly different from us to the highest levels. For a long time she was my mentor, teacher for everything that was good. The only thing was: she expected our relationship to be exactly like the one she had with her mother. I'm more like my father.

But I really thank God for the parents he gave me to. I was so lucky that there was no abuse (a few spankings, yes), no drinking, not even smoking. Both changed somewhat after they became ill. But the fond memories definitely overshadow the bad ones.

You did well and I know your mother knows how you feel about her in her heart of hearts. And that's the important thing. God bless you and her as you continue to travel this path together.

I hope your back gets better soon. I'm experiencing how hard it is to write when your back seems all out of whack.

Hugs and prayers, especially as Bebo moves out. I hope things will work out for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Take care of that back, sweetie.

Been there, done that.

Bailey Stewart said...

Kelly - and I hope you had a good day too.

Ruby - Dad felt that raising the kids was the woman's job, so I can say that 80% of who I am is mother.

Raine - Thanks Hun.

Just got up and I can say that "getting" up was not easy. Very sore this morning. Will probably spend most of the day in bed with a heating pad and advil. I'll check in because I do need to get up and move around a little, but rest is the plan at the moment. I'm going to do my blogging gradually because I do want to know what's going on. I'm going to get my British friends done first because of the time difference, and then on down to the others - Tori and Kelly - that puts y'all towards the end of the day. Later folks.

Denise McDonald said...

hope the back gets better -

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I hope your back isn't too bad today. I'm going down to read the letter everyone's talking about...

Anonymous said...

Things I will not miss when I'm gone (most are dittos w/ Ev's):

1. Ditto for those damned boxes by the door. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to go potty in the middle of the night & almost went face down in the hallway from tripping over them. Grrr...
2. Ditto for keeping the door closed all the time & dissention in the furry ranks.
3. Ditto for being quiet so I don't wake Mom (her room being right next to mine). And waiting till after 6:15-6:30 to take shower so I don't wake her from the noise. Today she was already halfway down the hall when I came out from my shower. Go figure.

And yes, I know you will not miss Bebo the Fire Breathing Dragon Bitch From Hell. I know I'm moody, but HEY! I never said I was easy to live with! But you love me anyway! ;P

Scott said...

I thought of my own father when you talked about the snoring, with a slight twinge of guilt.

I'm sure you've heard of it before, but TiVo would solve all your show-contention problems. TiVo can record another channel while you watch or even record another. We were driving around last night thinking how nice it was that we weren't in a hurry to get home to watch Sopranos because it was being recorded.

Meretta said...

Bon Voyage Bebo! Enjoy your new place. :) And Eve, take care of that back!

Kelley Nyrae said...

Ouch. I hope your back feels better.

Diane said...

Try not to miss each other too much.

Look after that back and take a break from the computer.

Christa said...

Eve- sorry to hear about the back. Take care.
The networks did it last night. They had the finale of Survivor but at 9 they also had Desperate Houswives.

Michele said...

Gee, I feel the love. *gg*

Egads! Back wreching is like, totally bogus! I Luuurve my chiropractor when I am attacked by my laundry baskets.
Foils my archenemy-backpainius sciaticum - scourge of the lumbar.

Feel better soon!

OK, so I"m weird. I must have eaten some of that bakers' revenge cake, ya think?
Oooh, City Chickie is bad.

Bailey Stewart said...

Dennie and Joely - not too good right now, I'm been up too long.

Bebo - I adore you.

Scott - can Tivo record two programs that are on at the same time? I've got other things on my "to buy" list that's way ahead of a Tivo. I want one.

Meretta - I'm trying.

Kelley - Thanks.

Diane - about to do just that.

Christa - They're always doing it to me.

City Chickie - *gg*

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you and Bebo got along extremely well judging by both of your short lists. The only one that me would give me concern is the 'Fire Breathing Dragon Bitch From Hell' comment! LOL

Bebo - Good luck with your move!

Hope your back is feeling better soon. Take it easy today. Hugs

Toni Anderson said...

Have a great move Bebo. You'll miss each other!!
Eve, I hope your back is better. Poor you. Take care or else I'll send the boys round ;-)

Brandy said...

Eve, sorry to her about your back. Be good to it!! I know Bebo moving will be tough, on both of you. freinds/family are the best!

Melissa Amateis said...

Ouch! Hope the back feels better soon! Bebo isn't moving TOO far away, is she?

catslady said...

Oh take care of that back. Maybe you should put the painting off for another week.

And they also had Grey's Anatomy on at the same time too. I hate that everything is on at the same time. And in another week there won't be anything to watch lol.

Jordan Summers said...

(((Hugs))) It'll be okay.

Lis said...

Hope your back's feeling a lot better!!

Siobhan said...

Eve, take care of that back and I hope all goes well with Bebo's move!

Bailey Stewart said...

Susan - can we say HORMONES and Bebo's goes off the charts. She'll be the first one to tell you.

Um Toni - Which boys? You're answer will help me decide whether I'll behave or not. *gg*

Brandy - I've been good to the back today.

Melissa - about 9 miles. But then we'll only see each other on Thursday evenings when I get off work and then the Saturday I work - until she's in school and then she'll be gone by the time I get home.

Jeanne - wait another week for the painting? Um, no - I'd like to get the couch out of the garage ASAP.

Jordan, Lis and Siobhan - Thank you!

The back is better but will take it easy for the rest of the afternoon. Too much to do before Saturday.

Sandy J said...

Eve, hope your back is better soon! Nothing more painful than a hurt back.

Sounds has if you and Bebo have a special relationship and that is a wonderful thing to share. Not many can claim that.

Good luck, Bebo!

Toni Anderson said...

I was thinking Denzil W and Brad P, and maybe George C for variety :)

Bailey Stewart said...

What? No Hugh Jackman?!

Lis said...

Take it easy, hope the back pain won't last for long. :o) Maybe Hugh can give you a nice back rub! hehe

Bailey Stewart said...

One can only dream. *gg*
The back pain is better, thank you.