Monday, July 03, 2006

Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays

Danica tagged Eve: Go to Wikipedia and put your birthdate (month and day only) in the search field. Now, list 3 events that happened on that day; 2 people who share your birthday; one person who died; one holiday or observance. Here's Eve’s: December 25.
1914 - World War I: Known as the Christmas truce, German and British troops on the Western Front temporarily cease fire. (Visitors to my old blog know I love this)

1939 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is introduced by Montgomery Ward Stores. (Yeah Monkey Wards)

1977 - Prime Minister of Israel Menachem Begin meets in Egypt with President of Egypt Anwar Sadat

Birthdays:

1821 - Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross

1924 - Rod Serling

Death: (this would have to be a terrible day to have a loved one die)

1995 - Dean Martin (mother loves to listen to ol' Dino)

Holiday or observance – you haven’t figured that one out yet?

Loreth tagged Bailey: June 18 (well, that’s when I officially became Bailey)

1264 - The Parliament of Ireland meets at Castledermot in County Kildare, the first definitively known meeting of this Irish legislature.

1429 - French forces under the leadership of Joan of Arc crush the main English army under Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay. This turns the tide of the Hundred Years' War.

1812 - War of 1812: The U.S. Congress declares war on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Birthdays:

1942 - Sir Paul McCartney, English singer and songwriter (The Beatles)

1966 - Kurt Browning, Canadian figure skater (I’ve always liked him)

Death:

1992 - Peter Allen, Australian singer and songwriter (b. 1944) (you didn't think I'd miss a chance to put up a picture of Hugh Jackman did you? Even if he is in his "Peter Allen" role from The Boy From Oz, for which he won a Tony)

Holiday or Observance:

Father's Day, US, UK, Chile (2006).

I'm supposed to tag 5 people, but since the upper part of this post is a repeat from April 8 (yes, I've already done this) and people were tagged then, I'll let you decide if you want to do this. And see Loreth, I did both. LOL

Waiting for A/C people to fix the unit. We have a window unit up in the dining room (one of the few rooms that have up/down windows instead of side sliders. Also the best for getting a straight shot to the other parts of the house. Then we have fans to help pull it down the hall. Not great - I would say for the most part marginally better than the attic fan was Sunday morning. I'm sleeping on the hide-a-bed in the living room as the ceiling fan in my bedroom is not working. We're keeping my bedroom door and the study door closed to help. Sweat is pouring down my face as I sit here. Fortunately, I made up Monday and Tuesday's blogs Sunday morning, so I just have to come in here and post them. I will not be on the blogs (unless is cool enough in the morning to get some done) as the computer puts out too much heat - plus this room is like a sauna and that means maybe even Jill's. Will call the A/C people Monday morning - we just couldn't afford to pay Sunday overtime. Gotta get out of here - so ...

Book draw:
Jeanne

The answer to the somewhat bonus question was Life without the alarm clock - I was so sure that someone would say "Oh, she made that one up" that I had Bebo look at my bulk file to validate that it was there. You kind of surprised me when you didn't jump on it. Brandy is the only one that mentioned it, so she gets her book too. I'm hoping to get to the post office this week (obviously I have to wait for the A/C people Monday).

Okay, I've had it. Bye for now. Behave.

18 comments:

Meretta said...

Ah ha! Remind me to not ever consider moving to Texas. I know I wouldn't last a minute.

My aunt used to live in Caroline, Alberta where Kurt is from. It's a pretty small town, but he's their claim to fame. Beautiful country around there, too.

I wish you cool weather and a good night's sleep!

Meretta said...

And congrats to the winners!

Toni Anderson said...

Congrats!!!!

I almost tagged you again but felt sorry for you hon!!!!

Brandy said...

AWwww, I'm the only one that guessed the bonus question correctly? HA! I'm starting to become obsessed about that alarm clock! Hate to hear about your AC being broken, hoping it gets fixed soon. Don't blame you for waiting either on the repair either! The only thing I know of for sure that happened on my birthday was that Princess Di died on my birthday.
Anyway, try and stay cool!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

That's so neat about looking up your birthday! Thanks for sharing, Bailey. =D

Anonymous said...

We have a heatwave over here right now so I know JUST how you're feeling. A visitor to my blog had a very nice thought I'll pass on to you: FROSTY AFTERNOONS. Even the sound of it makes you feel better.

I'm off to get some iced water. And as I guess you'd be asleep at the moment... (it's 9.30 in the morning here), I hope you're getting some decent rest right now.

Unknown said...

We're suffering with a heatwave, too. It's too icky for words. I'm sure though that it's far worse in Texas.
Hope you manage to sleep and hope you have lots of iced water on hand.

Carol M said...

Congrats Jeanne and Brandy!

Hope the air conditioning gets fixed real soon! I hate hot weather!

Michele said...

Awesome news, Brandy and Jeanne.
Woot!

I'm going to pass on the meme. Too involved for me right now.
Yours is really good,Bailey. Thanks for sharing.

Hot? I guess. 9AM and it's only 75 degees. Can only get hotter from there. *sigh*

Happy 4th of July, Bailey!!!

and all your visitors.

Bailey Stewart said...

It's 8:30 a.m., 75 degrees, with a heat index of 79 degrees and humidity at 88%. I'm about to do battle with the a/c company. Cross your fingers that I don't have to sell the car to pay for this.

Anonymous said...

I guess we don't exactly have a heatwave but less than an hour ago, the temperature was around 76 but with the humidity around 90. So I'd better get myself out right now to do some shopping in the hope that I'll get back before it gets too unbearable. Didn't go out yesterday because a friend told me it was supposed to get pretty hot. And I don't even have curtains to pull across the windows and cut down on the "energy" being engendered outside. Bah!

Congratulations to the winners.

I wondered about that alarm clock one but it seemed to me you'd already had one other one about the alarm clock where they weren't looking for it and thought that was it. Or maybe I had it. It just seemed as if I'd seen it.

Hope the A/C gets fixed soon. I have neither that nor a fan. If the humidity gets too high, I'll have to have someone bring up my dehumidifier from downstairs.

Kelley Nyrae said...

I'd go crazy without AC right now. It has been sooo hot in Southern California. YUL!

Christmas birthday? I'm the day after.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jeanne and Brandy!

Have a margarita or two and you might not feel the heat so much. It might help doing battle with the a/c company too. ;)

Hey, I'm a December baby too!

Lis said...

Congrats ladies :o)
Hope you get the AC fixed soon. We've got fans in every room right now with this heat. Its horrible.

Brandy said...

Can I maybe suggest something and hope you don't get very mad? Shouldn't your surviving siblings help with repairs to the house if they are so eager to sell it later on?

Melissa Amateis said...

I hate not having central air conditioning. I become an absolute bear if my house is hot.

catslady said...

Oh, wow, thanks, Bailey! Thanks for the congrats everyone. Congrats Brandy.

I don't know what I'd do without A/C. It's the humidity that's so unbearable - so sorry.

My BD is 11/29 - Thomas Edison demonstrates the phonograph for the first time - Richard Byrd was the first to fly over the South Pole - King Tut's tomb was opened.

BD - Louisa May Alcott and Howie Mandel.

Death - Natalie Wood (Cary Grant and George Harrison)

Event - Albania Liberation Day

jeanne

Bailey Stewart said...

I have air!!!!!

More later.