Saturday, July 29, 2006

I've Been Tagged

Toni got me, which was okay since I had planned on doing this one anyway - she just gave me an excuse to get it done.

1. When did you first start blogging?
August 18, 2005 (yes, I have a blogging anniversary coming up). It was over at Yahoo 360 and was a bust. Too many problems with commenting. Then I moved to Bravenet - which was okay (I still miss the smilies), but that bandwidth thing drove me nuts. I just looked at my first blog entry - As the primary caretaker for my mother who has Alzheimer's I have a lot of free time on my hand, which can lead to mischief, so it was either hit the streets or start my own blog. Man, those were the days - free time? What's that? So much has changed in a year.

2. What don't you talk about?
Like a few others, I don't talk about religion or politics. I am political and I am a Christian. I know that the Bible says to be evangelists, but I also know and respect the fact that not all of my readers share my views. As you well know, I'm non-confrontational and I would never want to purposefully post something that I know could cause someone to get hurt feelings or "say" something they shouldn't.

3. Are you and your blogging persona the same person?
This is a twofold answer. Depends upon how well I know you, or how you are receptive to a few of my comments. I think, basically, if you strip away my agoraphobia/social anxiety, then yes, I'm the same. I do have the same sense of humor. I try to be as compassionate in person than I am on the blogs.

4. How do you use blogging to build friendships?
Without my blogging pals I would be lost - utterly alone a huge percentage of time. I try to be just as involved in their lives as I hope they become in mine. By reading their posts and actually absorbing what they say or are trying to say I hope to convey the sense that I'm really interested, because I am - the same way I would be in person.

5. How would you describe your writing style?
There's a style? I really have no idea how to answer that. What do you think?

Don't forget the giveaway - look at Friday's blog for books in backlist. Also, those of you who chose any Jill Shalvis book, please tell me which ones on the list that you have already read so in case I pick your name I'll know what to send. Brandy - The Detective's Undoing and The Rancher's Surrender were the two first books that I read of Jill's. That's what got me started - so I guess you could say they were good enough to make me want more. They go together, so if you haven't read either and your name is picked, I'll send you both.

Posting early as I have things to do before 8 and who knows what the big bad internet boogy man will do tonight. And yes, I did contact them (by email) - I had to do it that way because I tried to call but mom kept interrupting me.

18 comments:

Christa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christa said...

Hi Bailey
Hope you have a good night. We had a little rain for about a half an hour, so now it's twice as hot and muggy.
From Shalvis I have Roughing it With Ryan, The Bachelor's Bed and Mrn of Courage 1 from your list.

Anonymous said...

Well, a lot did change for you during the last year. You went through a lot. I did too, but not to the depths that you did. And yet you have kept your sense of humor intact even increased it I think. More power to you. All I've been doing is whining and angsting and...

I was one of the people who tried to post on that blog without success. We first met on Suzanne McMinn's blog a few days/weeks before. In some ways it feels like yesterday, in others almost a lifetime ago.

I agree with your response to #2. Unless someone asks me pointblank, I rarely talk about these subjects. If I might say just a word, as an "evangelist" showing compassion and empathy is much more valuable than talking.

And I feel the same about blogging as you. Where would I be without you and Jill, Suzanne and others who've become friends. You can lift my spirits with your Spam interpretations, your quotes from Campus and Welfare Applications and in so many ways. Thank you so much, dear friend.

Brandy said...

Hey, so you realize I've been posting longer than you, but you are a WAY better writer. Also, we'd be lost without you and miss you terribly when you aren't able to blog. I, for one, look forward to reading your posts everyday!
Good luck getting your internet fixed and tell the big, bad boogry man BOO!

catslady said...

I haven't been here too long but you were nice enough to offer me one of Jill's books when you heard I hadn't read her yet at her blog :) I remember saying I probably wouldn't be posting very often and you said not to worry about it. Now you're the first blog I go to. Thanks, Bailey.

Can you believe I don't have any of the books listed!!!

Carol M said...

I'm also a newcomer to your blog. I've enjoyed visiting even if I don't always make a comment. Congrats on your upcoming blogging anniversary! :)

Melissa Amateis said...

You definitely have a warm and caring style in your comments and in your posts. It's always a joy to read your writing. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was a lurker at Jill's blog for a long time, I was to shy to post anything, but it was your witty posts that made me finally get up the nerve. You were the first to welcome me and I want to thank you for that.

The heat and humidity has returned here although not as bad as you have been suffering through.

Lis said...

wishing you an early happy blogiversery :) (ooh did I just make up a new term? must copyright that baby lmao)

You most definitely have a writing style. Like everyone else has said, its warm and caring and I love your sense of humor :)

Michele said...

Oooh, gush-fest!
Yep, your writing, Bailey, is a hoot and filled with real warmth and sincerity.
Can't wait to read your BOOK!

I just was informed from my library that Men of Courage one and two arrived but I have to wait to Monday to get it. Pooh!

Some of Jill's books are missing so that means many people liked her books so much, they kept them. Which is the pits because it deprives someone like me access to some fine reading.
I'm almost tempted to put a hex on them.. you know, the ol' "May your armpits be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels", type thing.

Hope you are staying cool, Bailey!
CAn't wait unti you are back to blogging full steam, electric, laptop and time all cooperating... Toodles!

Bailey Stewart said...

Y'all's checks are in the mail.

Christa - our grass is almost brown so I'd take the humidity just for a little rain.

Stacy Dawn - You wouldn't think so either.

Thank you Ruby.

I'd be lost without you too Brandy.

Jeanne - I remember that too, and I miss you when you're not here.

Thank you Devon - that means a lot to me.

Thank you Carol.

Awww Melissa, I'm blushing.

I'm glad you got up the nerve Susan. What would I do without your emails to make me laugh?

Lis - your sense of humor ain't too bad either. And get that copyrighted. LOL

City Chickie - yes, a gushfest for me and I'm sucking it in. The same thing with the bookstore, we don't get a lot of Shalvis books in - people keep them.

Still working on the internet thing and waiting for my laptop - guess I'll have to call that cousin of mine and find out if she sent it yet.

Siobhan said...

We almost share an anniversary (it's my "blogday" today) and I've kinda posted a similar blog to you, but yours is so much better. Your writing style is full of humour whereas I'm far too serious. :-( I agree with Michele - can't wait to read your book. Good luck, sweetie - you deserve to be published.

Anonymous said...

5.) A style? I have a style?

Yes, you have a great style, and class to boot :) I love coming here!

Anonymous said...

Bailey, I'll gladly send you some of our humidity. When I compared out 24-hour weather for a day--yours and ours--I was struck by the fact that your humidity was around 30%, which is considered *below* the comfort level of 45-55%. The latter was the lowest I've seen in a long time and occurred here at 1800h and it does vary according to the temperature. Highest today was 100% at 0200 when it was 70. So what am I actually accomplishing by opening my windows to let in some air at night: increasing my humidity inside or actually lowering the temperature. A real conundrum. My inside temp is 90. I can't seem to get it below 80.

I think my fridge, such as it is, is also working too hard. It's not really keeping everything frozen and the ice around it is phenomenal. If I want to clean off the ice, what do I do with the frozen food?

Yeah, well summer is *not* my favorite season. I'd rather have -40 than 85.

Bailey Stewart said...

Siobhan - Happy Blogiversary (I don't think Lis has had time to copyright it yet) and thanks for the kind words.

Thank you Marty - you're a boost to my waning ego.

Ruby - tell you what, I'll trade in the winter because I love a cold winter where I can bundle up and stay inside. You'd love Texas winters - average temp's in the 50s with the occasional "northner" which might drop us to below freezing for a day or so, but if we get two or three hard freezes a winter we're doing good. Some years it can actually get up into the 70s (I can remember wearing shorts one Christmas Day when I was a teenager).

Loreth - I like the intelligent part. Some days (especially lately) I haven't felt that - I know it's the caregiver stuff. XX

Toni Anderson said...

So now I'm just an excuse??

:)

What would we do without you in blogdom? I think you might even be Queen :) Don't let the situation make you doubt yourself. We all get that worthless feeling (especially on our hands and knees cleaning up God knows what--but it doesn't diminish what/who you are, it makes you stronger.)

Siobhan said...

Guess who came home last night ...

Carol M said...

Siobhan, I had a big smile on my face when I read that Charlie came home! I'm so happy for you!