Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Born on the Fourth of July

Without Freedom of Thought there can be no such Thing as Wisdom; and no such Thing as Public Liberty, without Freedom of Speech.Benjamin Franklin, writing as Silence Dogood, No. 8, 1722

Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.John Adams, A Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1765

The battle, Sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, Sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable; and let it come! I repeat, Sir, let it come!Patrick Henry

If men through fear, fraud or mistake, should in terms renounce and give up any essential natural right, the eternal law of reason and the great end of society, would absolutely vacate such renunciation; the right to freedom being the gift of God Almighty, it is not in the power of Man to alienate this gift, and voluntarily become a slave.John Adams, Rights of the Colonists, 1772

The distinctions between Virginians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, New Englanders are no more. I AM NOT A VIRGINIAN, BUT AN AMERICAN!Patrick Henry, n.d.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.Patrick Henry, n.d.

Resolved: That these colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states, that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the state of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved. That it is expedient forthwith to take the most effectual measures for forming foreign Alliances. That a plan of confederation be prepared and transmitted to the respective colonies for their consideration and approbation.Richard Lee, Resolution in Congress, June 7, 1776

The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774

If this be treason, make the most of it.Patrick Henry, n.d.

Nothing short of independence, it appears to me, can possibly do. A peace on other terms would..... be a peace of war.George Washington, Letter to John Banister, 1778

The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of this army, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember officers and Soldiers, that you are free men, fighting for the blessings of Liberty -- that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men.George Washington, 1776

Where liberty dwells, there is my country.Benjamin Franklin

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.Thomas Paine

There is a time for all things, a time to preach and a time to pray, but those times have passed away. There is a time to fight, and that time has now come.Peter Muhlenberg, from a Lutheran sermon read at Woodstock, Virginia, January 1776

Yesterday the greatest question was decided... and a greater question perhaps never was nor will be decided among men. A resolution was passed without one dissenting colony, that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states.John Adams, Letter to his wife, Abigail Adams, July 3, 1776

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.Benjamin Franklin, (attributed) at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

With hearts fortified with these animating reflections, we most solemnly, before God and the world, declare, that, exerting the utmost energy of those powers, which our beneficent Creator hath graciously bestowed upon us, the arms we have compelled by our enemies to assume, we will, in defiance of every hazard, with unabating firmness and perseverance employ for the preservation of our liberties; being with one mind resolved to die freemen rather than to live as slaves.John Dickinson and Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of the Cause and Necessity of Taking up Arms, July 6, 1775

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.Nathan Hale, before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776

I have not yet begun to fight!John Paul Jones, response to enemy demand to surrender, September 23, 1779

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776

The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations. This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.
John Adams

The war has actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms!Nathanael Greene, In an anonymous letter, 1781

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Law of Nature and Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

26 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

I have air!

I won't be around much today either. We have company coming this afternoon and I am a day and a half behind in getting the house ready (didn't feel like moving without the a/c, let alone clean) so I've got loads of stuff to get done.

Since every line on my maternal grandmother's ancestry goes back to the American Revolution, this day is special to me. I know of one ancestor who fought in the Battle of Brandywine, his two brothers died there. As you're watching fire works this evening, remember that this is for all who fought for our liberty and to the brave men, our Founding Fathers, who took on a giant and won. To my U.K. buddies, have a great day. (waving)

Scott said...

Wow. People really knew how to speak and write in those days. Thanks for the inspirational passages.

By the way, check out my post. I was reminded of you and your mom today.

Brandy said...

Baley, we owe our past leader so much. They were great oraters, soldiers, leaders and founding fathers. Without them and their foresight we would have nothing to celebrate. Happy 4th of July!

Brandy said...

Oh, congratulatios on having AC again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminders, Bailey.

Danica Favorite said...

Oooooh, I love this stuff.... hissssssstory.....

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a/c again. Welcome back! (Waves back from the Brit side of the pond)

Sustenance Scout said...

Bailey, A survey on blog posts on the holiday resulted in a lot of fluff until I found your site. Thanks for the thoughtful collection of quotes. I refer to your list on my blog and include Ben Franklin's wise words on freedom of thought and freedom of speech. Enjoy the day!

Bailey Stewart said...

Thanks y'all. Just a quick stop by as I'm behind on my cleaning and people are arriving 5 hours. I did manage to stop at all of my U.S. compatriots (I hope) to wish them a happy Fourth. Hopefully I'll get to the rest tonight.

Sustenance - Thank you.

Oh, and Scott's blog made me cry.

Amie Stuart said...

I find those first two particularly appropo and might just have to steal them =)

Funny how some things never go out of style

Anonymous said...

The Founding Fathers really rocked! Thanks for all the quotes!

Hooray for a/c!!!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Thanks for the holiday wishes, Bailey!! Happy 4th!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you have a/c again! I hope you have a great time today.

Thanks for all the quotes.

Meretta said...

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

Unknown said...

Glad you've got the a/c again. Have a great 4th of July!

Sandy J said...

Wonderful, inspirational, and thought provoking! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great fourth and enjoy your a/c. Like freedom, we don't know what we will miss until it's gone.

Carol M said...

Happy 4th of July everyone! Have a safe, happy day!

catslady said...

Wonderful thought provoking quotes.

Horray for a/c.

We now have plans to see our city's fireworks but we've also been getting rain and storms which are predicted for another 3 days. They've never canceled yet so I'm hoping this isn't the first time.

Happy 4th everyone.

Laurie Wood said...

Wonderful historical overview, Bailey. Congrats on the AC, you and your guests can celebrate in comfort!

Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth--thanks for the reminder on what it's all about :)

Toni Anderson said...

Waving from the north.
people really did know how to say what they meant in those days :)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you I always enjoy your history lessons. And yes, I'm going to the library to look up more on Patrick Henry, and yes I'm watching the thing on PBS tonight.

Happy 4th!

Michele said...

Blows the mind - how much we need to remember to appreciate where we are now.

Thanks, Bailey!

Kudos on the A/C - not a moment too soon!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thoughts on your blog. And I agree with them all.

It might shock you a bit in view of this that I wrote a quote to someone that would seem to contradict this. It doesn't. I think it enhances your quotes. The quote is by Soren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher, 1813-1855. In his day, the Danish had no freedom of speech. However, everybody is born with the freedom of thought, a right nobody, unless you count illness as a person, can take away from you. He wrote, "They never use the freedoms they do have, but demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech."

I think this complements the first quote you gave by Benjamin Franklin. He put freedom of thought ahead of freedom of speech. I too think that before you speak, you should think of what is the wisest thing to say. Too few people do that and hurt others in the process. I remember someday saying to me, "Do I have to think of every word I'm going to say before I say it?" And I said "Yes". Of course it's impossible to do in every or even most situations.

The saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is so much bragadacio. We all know that hurtful words stay much longer in our minds than an injury does and therefore may hurt our whole lives.

Hope you all have/had a wonderful holiday.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Excellent post. I hope you enjoyed the 4th! I'm so glad you have a/c back!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quotes. Enjoyed them and the 4th. Hope your visit was a good one.

I've finished SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY and will be stopping by soon to return it.

It's July!